Training for the 200 ***

I need some advice on how to train for the 200 Yard Breaststroke. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Parents
  • If you are beginning to play with the 200 BR,I'd suggest you start with broken 200s,giving your self 10-20 sec rest between 50s.Do like sets of 4 and each one focus on some aspect of the stroke(streamline,shoulder shrug,leg snap etc.) Evidently the Ultra short race pace idea forums.usms.org/showthread.php is adaptable for 200 BR too. If you know your goal time and your goal strokes per length,this is my favorite set. It is 8X100 with recovery swims between each 100. The first 3 are BR with the goal time of my second 100 of my 200 and the goal SPL as my goal SPL for the race.If I can't make the goal,I add extra rest.Currently I do a 150 recovery swim after each 100(yes the recovery is longer than the race pace,I feel race pace and SPL is more important than yardage.) Since I have found if I swim too much race pace BR my knees hurt the next 3X100 is BR pull,dolphin kick with fins.The same parameters apply in terms of goal time,SPL and recovery,except,since I can't do a good open turn with fins,I flip my turns.This gives me less work on the actual spin part of the turn,but it has the added "benefit"of getting less air at the turn,which helps train for the last pullouts of the 200.The last 2X100 are eggbeater kick with snorkel,trying to give the same effort as the first 6.I allow 1X50 recovery between the eggbeaters.If your legs aren't totally burning with lactic acid by the end of the 100 you went too slow.YMMV.
  • If you are beginning to play with the 200 BR,I'd suggest you start with broken 200s,giving your self 10-20 sec rest between 50s.Do like sets of 4 and each one focus on some aspect of the stroke(streamline,shoulder shrug,leg snap etc.) Evidently the Ultra short race pace idea forums.usms.org/showthread.php is adaptable for 200 BR too. If you know your goal time and your goal strokes per length,this is my favorite set. It is 8X100 with recovery swims between each 100. The first 3 are BR with the goal time of my second 100 of my 200 and the goal SPL as my goal SPL for the race.If I can't make the goal,I add extra rest.Currently I do a 150 recovery swim after each 100(yes the recovery is longer than the race pace,I feel race pace and SPL is more important than yardage.) Since I have found if I swim too much race pace BR my knees hurt the next 3X100 is BR pull,dolphin kick with fins.The same parameters apply in terms of goal time,SPL and recovery,except,since I can't do a good open turn with fins,I flip my turns.This gives me less work on the actual spin part of the turn,but it has the added "benefit"of getting less air at the turn,which helps train for the last pullouts of the 200.The last 2X100 are eggbeater kick with snorkel,trying to give the same effort as the first 6.I allow 1X50 recovery between the eggbeaters.If your legs aren't totally burning with lactic acid by the end of the 100 you went too slow.YMMV.
Children
No Data