Question about gliding.

Former Member
Former Member
I have a question about gliding in freestyle. My way of swimming is that after each stroke I stretch my leading arm, glide and then I go over to the next stroke if you know what I mean. Now someone is telling me that it''s more efficient to immediately go over to the next stroke without the gliding phase while your arm is stretched. What do you think is more efficient.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I am aware that I am a classic overglider as described by Swimsmooth. I glide too much - it feels nice - and it looks good to (amateur) watchers on poolside. Having felt I have plateaued for ages, I decided on a change of scene and have started swimming with another club occasionally. The coach there looked at me swimming, and first - took away my paddles from the poolside, telling me they were making my "problem" worse and not to use them for the foreseeable future, and secondly to up my stroke rate substantially. I have now knocked a second a length off freestyle in just two swim sessions ....... and he is my hero for some, paddle overuse could be one cause of too much glide and loss of stroke timing .......
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I am aware that I am a classic overglider as described by Swimsmooth. I glide too much - it feels nice - and it looks good to (amateur) watchers on poolside. Having felt I have plateaued for ages, I decided on a change of scene and have started swimming with another club occasionally. The coach there looked at me swimming, and first - took away my paddles from the poolside, telling me they were making my "problem" worse and not to use them for the foreseeable future, and secondly to up my stroke rate substantially. I have now knocked a second a length off freestyle in just two swim sessions ....... and he is my hero for some, paddle overuse could be one cause of too much glide and loss of stroke timing .......
Children
No Data