Question about gliding.

Former Member
Former Member
I have a question about gliding in freestyle. My way of swimming is that after each stroke I stretch my leading arm, glide and then I go over to the next stroke if you know what I mean. Now someone is telling me that it''s more efficient to immediately go over to the next stroke without the gliding phase while your arm is stretched. What do you think is more efficient.
Parents
  • Brundage is much faster than me, but I don't think it's a good idea to actually glide. Accelerating and decelerating is more energy intensive than maintaining a steady speed (which is an ideal no swimmer reaches). The effects of this are much more in water. So do what sun yang does by all means, but it's not a true glide. On the other hand, catching gently is a them very good idea. I suspect even the .15 seconds Yang is 'gliding', he's actually extending his arm, dumping turbulent air, and getting a good catch.I support the first sentence. There is no room to glide for us mortals. Yang and Brundage are both quite tall, have highly developed skill, and likely a potent kick to assist the brief fraction of time they appear to be gliding (when one arm finishes pushing back, and the other arm is reaching forward, keeping water non-turbulent, and downsweeping). Even when I swim 200M or more I have to make sure each arm is relaying some kind of propulsion (exit - catch), my kick won't sustain the momentum. Any pause, and I stop and sink, but when going all out I'm fine
  • Brundage is much faster than me, but I don't think it's a good idea to actually glide. Accelerating and decelerating is more energy intensive than maintaining a steady speed (which is an ideal no swimmer reaches). The effects of this are much more in water. So do what sun yang does by all means, but it's not a true glide. On the other hand, catching gently is a them very good idea. I suspect even the .15 seconds Yang is 'gliding', he's actually extending his arm, dumping turbulent air, and getting a good catch.I support the first sentence. There is no room to glide for us mortals. Yang and Brundage are both quite tall, have highly developed skill, and likely a potent kick to assist the brief fraction of time they appear to be gliding (when one arm finishes pushing back, and the other arm is reaching forward, keeping water non-turbulent, and downsweeping). Even when I swim 200M or more I have to make sure each arm is relaying some kind of propulsion (exit - catch), my kick won't sustain the momentum. Any pause, and I stop and sink, but when going all out I'm fine
Children
No Data