Question about gliding.

Former Member
Former Member
I have a question about gliding in freestyle. My way of swimming is that after each stroke I stretch my leading arm, glide and then I go over to the next stroke if you know what I mean. Now someone is telling me that it''s more efficient to immediately go over to the next stroke without the gliding phase while your arm is stretched. What do you think is more efficient.
Parents
  • I have a question about gliding in freestyle. My way of swimming is that after each stroke I stretch my leading arm, glide and then I go over to the next stroke if you know what I mean. Now someone is telling me that it''s more efficient to immediately go over to the next stroke without the gliding phase while your arm is stretched. What do you think is more efficient. While you should be extending your arm fully prior to beginning the catch phase of the stroke, you should not be slowing down or stopping at this point - the momentum of your stroke cycle and consequently, your speed, will decline if this happens. You need to maintain a continuous stroke cycle. Two opposing drills that will allow you to find a balance in your stroke are the side-to-side (in this case you do glide on your side for two seconds before pulling), and at the opposite end of the spectrum, the "Tarzan" or turnover drill. You or your coach will be able to decide how much of these two drills to implement in practice in order to find your ideal stroke.
  • I have a question about gliding in freestyle. My way of swimming is that after each stroke I stretch my leading arm, glide and then I go over to the next stroke if you know what I mean. Now someone is telling me that it''s more efficient to immediately go over to the next stroke without the gliding phase while your arm is stretched. What do you think is more efficient. While you should be extending your arm fully prior to beginning the catch phase of the stroke, you should not be slowing down or stopping at this point - the momentum of your stroke cycle and consequently, your speed, will decline if this happens. You need to maintain a continuous stroke cycle. Two opposing drills that will allow you to find a balance in your stroke are the side-to-side (in this case you do glide on your side for two seconds before pulling), and at the opposite end of the spectrum, the "Tarzan" or turnover drill. You or your coach will be able to decide how much of these two drills to implement in practice in order to find your ideal stroke.
Children
No Data