Double workouts - what do you do?

I'm looking at upping my weekly mileage a bit starting next month and want to do a 2x day on Wednesdays since I normally take Thursdays as a rest day. Later this spring, I might look at adding a second 2x day per week. For those of you who do some two-a-day workouts, how do you structure them? More distance in the morning, then a follow up in the evening (so say 3500 am, 2000 pm)? Or do you split them doing speed work in the morning? Looking for any ideas on how to break them up and still make them useful, not junk miles. Thanks in advance - Kari
Parents
  • I haven't done doubles since winding down open swim season last year, but I was consistently doubling one day per week, mostly due to word schedule and squeezing in an extra swim on my day off. I focused more on technique in the morning and higher intensity long sets in the evening. Both about an hour, aiming for 25-3500 yards in each session. In training for the Key West swim (or any marathon + distance), it is important for me to build on day every week as long distance, so I start with 2000 straight swim and then build up slowly to 4000 straight, breaking up the distance into micro-sets strung together so I can keep count. Once the weather (and water) outside heats up, adding in long swims (2-3 hours) is great to get used to not swimming with a black line. Your plan seems well thought out and the slow increase in weekly yardage should keep you health and able to pull off a great swim in June. :thewave:
  • I haven't done doubles since winding down open swim season last year, but I was consistently doubling one day per week, mostly due to word schedule and squeezing in an extra swim on my day off. I focused more on technique in the morning and higher intensity long sets in the evening. Both about an hour, aiming for 25-3500 yards in each session. In training for the Key West swim (or any marathon + distance), it is important for me to build on day every week as long distance, so I start with 2000 straight swim and then build up slowly to 4000 straight, breaking up the distance into micro-sets strung together so I can keep count. Once the weather (and water) outside heats up, adding in long swims (2-3 hours) is great to get used to not swimming with a black line. Your plan seems well thought out and the slow increase in weekly yardage should keep you health and able to pull off a great swim in June. :thewave:
Children
No Data