Broken 200's

Former Member
Former Member
If these are done by the 50 on say :10 rest is there any way to glean a range of potential 200 times? Today at the behest of coach I did the 200 stuff he wants me to look into. Do you add x amount of time to the broken times to get a guesstimate or is that just wildly inaccurate? I ask by my 200 time off the wall in um, not very good. But after doing these 50's, which is what my focus is in the 50/100, it looks more hopeful. Thanks as always for the amazing knowledge base here on usms. Have a nice day:)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Ok sorry for the delay in responding. I have been down in Ft Lauderdale for the last 5 days on a swimcation/training camp. So to give you some reference in 2010 at nationals I swam the 200 free and went a 1:48. Although I did not swim the 100 free (fully tapered) my best that season was a 50. So if you break it down my average time for the 200 free per 100 was 54 secs which was roughly 4 secs slower than my 100 time. So if we extrapolate (assuming you are exactly the same as me - not a good assumption but good enough for this) and take your current 100 time of 58.33 and add 4 secs to that we get 1:02.33. Now if we double that for a 200 that would be just under 2:05 for a 200 free. This may be a stretch goal for you since you have not raced the 200 free much. Pacing for the 200 free is critical and can have a large impact on how your final time turns out and that comes with experience and racing the event a number of times. Realistically I think you should be able to break 2:08 in a tapered swim. I would recommend that you gear your broken 200 swims towards a time of 2:08 or better as a start. Now I am a mid distance and distance swimmer and definitely not a pure sprinter. I come alive at 200 and above. What may work for me may not necessarily work for you but I think the above times are achievable and realistic. I also train more yards than you currently are. In workouts I would also make sure you are swimming sets that involve 200's and 300's. A good set would be 4-5x200's on 3:30 and descend them to as fast as possible. Try to target getting down to 2:20 or better on the last one in practice. Do this on a 2 week cycle if possible and record your times everytime you do it. Look to keep progressing and improving each time you do the set and learn how to pace yourself. Also do the full out broken 200 on a regular basis and track your progression there as this will help predict how you are doing as well as teach better pacing. Like I said these are ideas that I work on and know work for me. I think just setting a goal (2:08 in your case) and then working towards that and tracking your progress as you train will get you there and you may even surprise yourself. If you dont get there right away keep working at it and it will eventually come.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Ok sorry for the delay in responding. I have been down in Ft Lauderdale for the last 5 days on a swimcation/training camp. So to give you some reference in 2010 at nationals I swam the 200 free and went a 1:48. Although I did not swim the 100 free (fully tapered) my best that season was a 50. So if you break it down my average time for the 200 free per 100 was 54 secs which was roughly 4 secs slower than my 100 time. So if we extrapolate (assuming you are exactly the same as me - not a good assumption but good enough for this) and take your current 100 time of 58.33 and add 4 secs to that we get 1:02.33. Now if we double that for a 200 that would be just under 2:05 for a 200 free. This may be a stretch goal for you since you have not raced the 200 free much. Pacing for the 200 free is critical and can have a large impact on how your final time turns out and that comes with experience and racing the event a number of times. Realistically I think you should be able to break 2:08 in a tapered swim. I would recommend that you gear your broken 200 swims towards a time of 2:08 or better as a start. Now I am a mid distance and distance swimmer and definitely not a pure sprinter. I come alive at 200 and above. What may work for me may not necessarily work for you but I think the above times are achievable and realistic. I also train more yards than you currently are. In workouts I would also make sure you are swimming sets that involve 200's and 300's. A good set would be 4-5x200's on 3:30 and descend them to as fast as possible. Try to target getting down to 2:20 or better on the last one in practice. Do this on a 2 week cycle if possible and record your times everytime you do it. Look to keep progressing and improving each time you do the set and learn how to pace yourself. Also do the full out broken 200 on a regular basis and track your progression there as this will help predict how you are doing as well as teach better pacing. Like I said these are ideas that I work on and know work for me. I think just setting a goal (2:08 in your case) and then working towards that and tracking your progress as you train will get you there and you may even surprise yourself. If you dont get there right away keep working at it and it will eventually come.
Children
No Data