Broken 200's

Former Member
Former Member
If these are done by the 50 on say :10 rest is there any way to glean a range of potential 200 times? Today at the behest of coach I did the 200 stuff he wants me to look into. Do you add x amount of time to the broken times to get a guesstimate or is that just wildly inaccurate? I ask by my 200 time off the wall in um, not very good. But after doing these 50's, which is what my focus is in the 50/100, it looks more hopeful. Thanks as always for the amazing knowledge base here on usms. Have a nice day:)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Sure I am happy help give some advice. First, all swimmers are different so what may work for one person may not work for another. Second I think the 200 distance is a a harder race to master than most - it's not a sprint but it is also not a distance event like the 500 and above. It is really a controlled sprint and pacing is critical. I think to understand where you are currently at a few questions can help establish a baseline: 1. How many times per week do you swim? 4-5 days 2. How far are you going when you do your workouts? 2500-3 including w/u c/d 3. Do you have a specific goal time you are trying to reach on your 200? I have no realistic time to pick since 50/100 is all I do 4. Do you have the splits (by 50) for your last race? Have never done a 200 at a meet or even off the blcok, but coach seems to think it suits me?? Have no idea why b/c my 200 off the wall was 2:31 scy I mean the fast 200 guys are doing that for a send off! Answers to the above questions will help to understand where you are at and then I can give you some ideas to work on - at least the things I try to focus on when training for the 200. Also, to give at least some time info. My 50 free is a 26.98 and 100 a 58.33.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Sure I am happy help give some advice. First, all swimmers are different so what may work for one person may not work for another. Second I think the 200 distance is a a harder race to master than most - it's not a sprint but it is also not a distance event like the 500 and above. It is really a controlled sprint and pacing is critical. I think to understand where you are currently at a few questions can help establish a baseline: 1. How many times per week do you swim? 4-5 days 2. How far are you going when you do your workouts? 2500-3 including w/u c/d 3. Do you have a specific goal time you are trying to reach on your 200? I have no realistic time to pick since 50/100 is all I do 4. Do you have the splits (by 50) for your last race? Have never done a 200 at a meet or even off the blcok, but coach seems to think it suits me?? Have no idea why b/c my 200 off the wall was 2:31 scy I mean the fast 200 guys are doing that for a send off! Answers to the above questions will help to understand where you are at and then I can give you some ideas to work on - at least the things I try to focus on when training for the 200. Also, to give at least some time info. My 50 free is a 26.98 and 100 a 58.33.
Children
No Data