Broken 200's

Former Member
Former Member
If these are done by the 50 on say :10 rest is there any way to glean a range of potential 200 times? Today at the behest of coach I did the 200 stuff he wants me to look into. Do you add x amount of time to the broken times to get a guesstimate or is that just wildly inaccurate? I ask by my 200 time off the wall in um, not very good. But after doing these 50's, which is what my focus is in the 50/100, it looks more hopeful. Thanks as always for the amazing knowledge base here on usms. Have a nice day:)
Parents
  • For me the broken 200 has always been an accurate predictor of my actual 200 time in the pool. I do them with 10 secs rest but if there is a coach on deck the best way to get your accurate broken time would be to have the coach start his watch when your feet leave the wall and also do a flip turn after each 50 and stop the watch on your feet - repeat for all four 50's. I am usually within a half second of my broken time in a race. This way you eliminate any chance of leaving early or late during the rest phases. This is an interesting tip! Mostly because it would be very, very hard for me, like more than 2x just doing the 50 itself. So if it sounds that hard, then it's probably what I need to try! I really like the idea of the flipturn. Although a different topic, different thread (race pace),the issue of turns came up (I think a Fort post). One big area of bog-down (for me) is turns, and the tendency to get sloppy/lazy at the walls. I also ruminated between two intervals - 40 and 45 for SCM - and so this would make the decision easier - 45 of course, with a turn. It's not practical for a coach to yell out only my times, but I would think it's a relative figure - so you do your finish (touch or a turn) and then look at the clock, it's not the real time, but then use that as a base time from which to improve. If I swam by myself, I suppose I could even do the full turn, 4 stroke breakout, then come back to the wall, maybe go on 1 min. I feel compelled to swim the 200 free and 400 IM NEXT year, as 2015 will the 20th anniversary since I last did a REAL 200 free (1995) and 10 years since I did a 400 IM (2005)! Excellent tip!
  • For me the broken 200 has always been an accurate predictor of my actual 200 time in the pool. I do them with 10 secs rest but if there is a coach on deck the best way to get your accurate broken time would be to have the coach start his watch when your feet leave the wall and also do a flip turn after each 50 and stop the watch on your feet - repeat for all four 50's. I am usually within a half second of my broken time in a race. This way you eliminate any chance of leaving early or late during the rest phases. This is an interesting tip! Mostly because it would be very, very hard for me, like more than 2x just doing the 50 itself. So if it sounds that hard, then it's probably what I need to try! I really like the idea of the flipturn. Although a different topic, different thread (race pace),the issue of turns came up (I think a Fort post). One big area of bog-down (for me) is turns, and the tendency to get sloppy/lazy at the walls. I also ruminated between two intervals - 40 and 45 for SCM - and so this would make the decision easier - 45 of course, with a turn. It's not practical for a coach to yell out only my times, but I would think it's a relative figure - so you do your finish (touch or a turn) and then look at the clock, it's not the real time, but then use that as a base time from which to improve. If I swam by myself, I suppose I could even do the full turn, 4 stroke breakout, then come back to the wall, maybe go on 1 min. I feel compelled to swim the 200 free and 400 IM NEXT year, as 2015 will the 20th anniversary since I last did a REAL 200 free (1995) and 10 years since I did a 400 IM (2005)! Excellent tip!
Children
No Data