Help me get my mojo back!

Seems I’ve lost my mojo. Can’t decide the cause (winter blah’s, hot training water, demoralizing training group, chronic injuries, what?) so it’s hard to know how to fight back. I don’t feel depressed, but when I get in the pool, I’m acting depressed. It’s like I’m afraid to get out of breath – or like I’m just not interested in working that hard any more. All of a sudden it’s a struggle to go to the gym. In fact, this morning, I didn’t. I have a great excuse, with “frozen shoulder” (how does that happen to a swimmer?) so upper body weight lifting is OUT for a while, but I could go and work on abs and legs. But instead I slept in. I even scratched a meet this month. Haven’t done that in a while; I’ve scratched events, but not an entire meet. Anybody have any great ideas on how to get that spark back? So I’m excited for the race again? Excited to “get after it”? Thanks in advance!
Parents
  • Well, everybody, I think I'm back (that was fast, right?). You all had great advice, but just to clarify (and possibly reassure myself) I had not lost my love of swimming, just my desire to push myself to swim HARD and FAST. (Of course, fast is relative, of course.). I think that I have very specific training condition requirements that must be met: cool water, clean pool, and it also helps to have someone close to my speed, that I might have a chance to beat every now and then. It is very demoralizing to have people beat the socks off you day after day. Imagine always having Ryan Lochte as a lane mate; even tho he's a really nice guy, and I must say, nice to look at, it wouldn't help either of us to be training partners. I am impressed by those who seem able to push themselves to the limit every day, no matter what the conditions. I think this is a symptom of getting old. I am becoming "set in my ways", like my father, and I am a bit grumpy if things aren't the way I like them. Thank you all for your helpful and kind comments. And Flystorm, you inspire me, too! I can't wait to meet you at the San Antonio Nationals next Spring!
  • Well, everybody, I think I'm back (that was fast, right?). You all had great advice, but just to clarify (and possibly reassure myself) I had not lost my love of swimming, just my desire to push myself to swim HARD and FAST. (Of course, fast is relative, of course.). I think that I have very specific training condition requirements that must be met: cool water, clean pool, and it also helps to have someone close to my speed, that I might have a chance to beat every now and then. It is very demoralizing to have people beat the socks off you day after day. Imagine always having Ryan Lochte as a lane mate; even tho he's a really nice guy, and I must say, nice to look at, it wouldn't help either of us to be training partners. I am impressed by those who seem able to push themselves to the limit every day, no matter what the conditions. I think this is a symptom of getting old. I am becoming "set in my ways", like my father, and I am a bit grumpy if things aren't the way I like them. Thank you all for your helpful and kind comments. And Flystorm, you inspire me, too! I can't wait to meet you at the San Antonio Nationals next Spring!
Children
No Data