USMS should say Nyet to homophobia!

So, World Masters Championships for 2015 are now scheduled to be held in Kazan, Russia. I, for one, am appalled at yet another event being held in a country with legislated homophobia. Isn't it bad enough that the IOC has allowed this travesty? In my opinion, USMS needs to take a stand about this and ensure that ALL USMS members can attend events safely, with their families, and without fear of persecution or prosecution. Russia is not a safe place for our LGBT members and allies to do so. Thoughts?
Parents
  • Think that having events such as these, including everyone, may truly affect homophobic laws/cultures/religions/countries that have laws against homosexuality. I think what changed US views are the brave people who came out, spoke up, showed up, despite archaic laws! With the IOC's decision, have there been many problems with Russia's laws at the Olympics? In many ways, the international, public media exposure can be educational to less open cultures...and maybe even freeing to those who may have to hide their private sexuality in those countries!
  • Think that having events such as these, including everyone, may truly affect homophobic laws/cultures/religions/countries that have laws against homosexuality. I think what changed US views are the brave people who came out, spoke up, showed up, despite archaic laws! With the IOC's decision, have there been many problems with Russia's laws at the Olympics? In many ways, the international, public media exposure can be educational to less open cultures...and maybe even freeing to those who may have to hide their private sexuality in those countries!
Children
No Data