When your work doesn't pay off

Former Member
Former Member
Hi guys! I need help, if you can please assist me. I used to swim competitively when i was younger up until i was 17, and back then i was improving a lot, very fast. I am extremely frustrated, as all i want to do is to become a faster Masters swimmer, and be the best that i can be. I'm still young so I want to take advantage of that, i came back to the pool about two years ago after being off for about 8. I'm doing cross training with Running intervals 2x/week for 45 mins, doing a weight routine designed for swimming 2X/week, and swimming with my team 5-6X/week. I've been doing this for about a year now, and my times have not changed at all, or have changed very little. I am investing a lot, I even have a nutritionist to help me with a good diet to support my workouts, and nothing. I was told that What's worse, I see people who seldom go to practice, or don't train all that much and they are quite fast. I feel like all the work that I am putting in is not paying off at all as it should be. Any help, advise or anything would be hugely appreciated.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    WOW!! Thanks you guys for all your advise! In response to some of your questions, I am training for 200 I.M and 200 *** and some long distance freestyle events (400 and 800). I do try to focus on my technique and my coach constantly gives me pointers and drills to correct it in all strokes, especially because of my I.M. event, but that is definitely an area that I need to improve and try to be mindful about it. In practice, we do a mix of drills, plus fast intervals, distance, kick, etc. and at times I modify the set to myself for say practice more breastroke or things like that. In terms of rest, I've actually cut-down on my workouts, and i make sure i have a break between one and the other whereas I used to have them more back to back, and always take at least Sundays off to rest. I guess my frustration comes that when I started back in Masters, I improved quite a bit and got to a point where i was getting faster but i was overloading myself and ended up over trained and with physical exhaustion. I took time off to recover and then i decided to try again but smarter, that's why i got the trainer to set me up with a program with weights that would help me in the pool, and the nutritionist, etc. I run as cross-training because I remember when i was younger, that was a huge part of the dryland we were doing and it seemed to help me aerobically, but I HATE it! lol so if you guys say that it does nothing for my swimming I will not complain about stopping it lol I will definitely try to get more on board with the technique and try to get more rest in between. Thanks guys you are awesome :):)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    WOW!! Thanks you guys for all your advise! In response to some of your questions, I am training for 200 I.M and 200 *** and some long distance freestyle events (400 and 800). I do try to focus on my technique and my coach constantly gives me pointers and drills to correct it in all strokes, especially because of my I.M. event, but that is definitely an area that I need to improve and try to be mindful about it. In practice, we do a mix of drills, plus fast intervals, distance, kick, etc. and at times I modify the set to myself for say practice more breastroke or things like that. In terms of rest, I've actually cut-down on my workouts, and i make sure i have a break between one and the other whereas I used to have them more back to back, and always take at least Sundays off to rest. I guess my frustration comes that when I started back in Masters, I improved quite a bit and got to a point where i was getting faster but i was overloading myself and ended up over trained and with physical exhaustion. I took time off to recover and then i decided to try again but smarter, that's why i got the trainer to set me up with a program with weights that would help me in the pool, and the nutritionist, etc. I run as cross-training because I remember when i was younger, that was a huge part of the dryland we were doing and it seemed to help me aerobically, but I HATE it! lol so if you guys say that it does nothing for my swimming I will not complain about stopping it lol I will definitely try to get more on board with the technique and try to get more rest in between. Thanks guys you are awesome :):)
Children
No Data