19 years old and swimming?

Former Member
Former Member
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to this site but I've had a few years in the sport of swimming. I've never been on an "official" team however I did spend a few years going to daily swim conditioning classes at the YMCA. I'm no Olympian but I swim pretty well for someone with not much experience. Recently I've really been motivated and feeling the urge to become more enveloped in the sport and hopefully join an actual competitive team. Unfortunately I'm 19 years old and currently going to a college that does not have its own swim team.. I live in the San Antonio area and was wondering if anyone was familiar or knowledgable enough to help me out and inform me with somewhere I could go? I know I'm "old" considering most swimmers start rigid routines around the age of 10, but my dream is to make to the Olympics. (maybe I shouldn't have shared that part but wth) I LOVE swimming and if its worth anything, the coach of my high school swim team tried many times to get me to join.. It wouldn't be a question of dedication, if I absolutely decided to do this I understand the dedication and time it would take to reach the level needed. Even if I didn't make it, I'd love the journey, and even being able to compete in regional events would be amazing. Appreciate all comments!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to this site but I've had a few years in the sport of swimming. I've never been on an "official" team however I did spend a few years going to daily swim conditioning classes at the YMCA. I'm no Olympian but I swim pretty well for someone with not much experience. Recently I've really been motivated and feeling the urge to become more enveloped in the sport and hopefully join an actual competitive team. Unfortunately I'm 19 years old and currently going to a college that does not have its own swim team.. I live in the San Antonio area and was wondering if anyone was familiar or knowledgable enough to help me out and inform me with somewhere I could go? I know I'm "old" considering most swimmers start rigid routines around the age of 10, but my dream is to make to the Olympics. (maybe I shouldn't have shared that part but wth) I LOVE swimming and if its worth anything, the coach of my high school swim team tried many times to get me to join.. It wouldn't be a question of dedication, if I absolutely decided to do this I understand the dedication and time it would take to reach the level needed. Even if I didn't make it, I'd love the journey, and even being able to compete in regional events would be amazing. Appreciate all comments! Hi - your age might not be a limitation, depending on your current ability, physical potential and choice of events. We don't know any of these from your post. My suggestion would be to keep the dream, but start by thinking smaller in terms of goals. Set your goals around things like competing in your first structured competition, number of sessions to attend, training time improvement etc first. Enjoy swimming for its own sake. You MAY be young enough to make the Olympics, but you ARE old enough to take part in masters competition as an 'x' or 'senior' age group swimmer, and I'd highly recommend it.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to this site but I've had a few years in the sport of swimming. I've never been on an "official" team however I did spend a few years going to daily swim conditioning classes at the YMCA. I'm no Olympian but I swim pretty well for someone with not much experience. Recently I've really been motivated and feeling the urge to become more enveloped in the sport and hopefully join an actual competitive team. Unfortunately I'm 19 years old and currently going to a college that does not have its own swim team.. I live in the San Antonio area and was wondering if anyone was familiar or knowledgable enough to help me out and inform me with somewhere I could go? I know I'm "old" considering most swimmers start rigid routines around the age of 10, but my dream is to make to the Olympics. (maybe I shouldn't have shared that part but wth) I LOVE swimming and if its worth anything, the coach of my high school swim team tried many times to get me to join.. It wouldn't be a question of dedication, if I absolutely decided to do this I understand the dedication and time it would take to reach the level needed. Even if I didn't make it, I'd love the journey, and even being able to compete in regional events would be amazing. Appreciate all comments! Hi - your age might not be a limitation, depending on your current ability, physical potential and choice of events. We don't know any of these from your post. My suggestion would be to keep the dream, but start by thinking smaller in terms of goals. Set your goals around things like competing in your first structured competition, number of sessions to attend, training time improvement etc first. Enjoy swimming for its own sake. You MAY be young enough to make the Olympics, but you ARE old enough to take part in masters competition as an 'x' or 'senior' age group swimmer, and I'd highly recommend it.
Children
No Data