indoor pool air quality and feeling bad

Has any one else experienced this? During a two day meet, the first day I felt fine, the second day I felt awful. I was wondering if air quality could be an issue or some other random thing. Its always a second day thing. Anybody else experience this? Any tips on what to do?
Parents
  • Okay, but isn't ventilation a more significant factor. When I have breathing issues, it is always in an indoor pool, and I swam 2.4 mi. in the Navesink river (and survived :) this chemical jungle). The ventilation systems in most newer pools should be designed to turn the air over and scour the pool surface under normal conditions. They are apparently installing vac systems in the pool gutters to assist with removal at the water surface. Big meets and lots of swimmers can apparently overwhelm even the gutter vac systems (the load of precursor chemicals goes way up at these times), especially if air flow above the pool and at the deck level is obstructed by banners and barricades. It's also so simple to reduce the load - just shower and don't pee in the pool. I suspect goggles are responsible for the "just pee in the pool culture". Back in the day you could only swim an hour + before your eyes were burning and you had to get out (we also had to swim two miles up hill both ways to school), and now one can just keep swimming past normal bladder capacities. As one of the articles points out engineers have intentionally added chloramines to drinking water to sustain disinfecting capabilities at the far ends of large water distribution systems. Free chlorine doesn't last long enough to keep on killing, so small amounts of chloramines are intentionally added and maintained. Thus some chloramines may be added to a pool too from the water system's make-up water. I survived 1 mile in the Schuylkill river a few years back, which might be as bad as the Navesink :D.
  • Okay, but isn't ventilation a more significant factor. When I have breathing issues, it is always in an indoor pool, and I swam 2.4 mi. in the Navesink river (and survived :) this chemical jungle). The ventilation systems in most newer pools should be designed to turn the air over and scour the pool surface under normal conditions. They are apparently installing vac systems in the pool gutters to assist with removal at the water surface. Big meets and lots of swimmers can apparently overwhelm even the gutter vac systems (the load of precursor chemicals goes way up at these times), especially if air flow above the pool and at the deck level is obstructed by banners and barricades. It's also so simple to reduce the load - just shower and don't pee in the pool. I suspect goggles are responsible for the "just pee in the pool culture". Back in the day you could only swim an hour + before your eyes were burning and you had to get out (we also had to swim two miles up hill both ways to school), and now one can just keep swimming past normal bladder capacities. As one of the articles points out engineers have intentionally added chloramines to drinking water to sustain disinfecting capabilities at the far ends of large water distribution systems. Free chlorine doesn't last long enough to keep on killing, so small amounts of chloramines are intentionally added and maintained. Thus some chloramines may be added to a pool too from the water system's make-up water. I survived 1 mile in the Schuylkill river a few years back, which might be as bad as the Navesink :D.
Children
No Data