Annoying Pool Rules

After swimming at the same pool for a year now, I was rudely stopped by the person that I was sharing the lane with and told that I could not use paddles when there were more than one person in the lane. Does anyone else have this same issue? I was really annoyed! Using paddles is an integral part of a swimming workout.
Parents
  • Favorite pushy story: lady in the lane next to me was annoyed at splashing in butteryfly, told me to stop so I didn't get her hair wet. in a pool : | I had a fun experience this weekend trying to jump into a lap lane. Lap swimmers in Scottsdale are spoiled and used to their own lane, but there was a big kids meet at the main pool (usually ~20 lanes available there plus another 15-20 between two other pools), so the other pools were more crowded. I approached a woman who had her own lane and politely stated, "Would you rather circle or split the lane?" (the option of not sharing was not on the table). "Well," she says as she pulls on her fins, "I was going to swim some butterfly now, so it might be hard to share a lane." Note that this is a very nice pool with lane widths at least at 8'. My potential responses were: "The Butterfly-Solo-Lane Trick? Lady, I invented that!" "Awesome! I love butterfly. What set are we going to do and do you want to lead or shall I?" "Lady, I've swum 200 flys in workout with 4 guys with a minimum 6'6" wingspans in the same lane. No biggie." "Cool. I'll take the left side, then?" I opted for #4, slipped in and started my swim without another word. As for stupid pool rules, I hate the pools that require me to wear a cap ... as if covering 9% of my body (source: en.wikipedia.org/.../Total_body_surface_area) means that the other 91% doesn't have whatever germs or what not they are trying to keep out of the water with a cap.
  • Favorite pushy story: lady in the lane next to me was annoyed at splashing in butteryfly, told me to stop so I didn't get her hair wet. in a pool : | I had a fun experience this weekend trying to jump into a lap lane. Lap swimmers in Scottsdale are spoiled and used to their own lane, but there was a big kids meet at the main pool (usually ~20 lanes available there plus another 15-20 between two other pools), so the other pools were more crowded. I approached a woman who had her own lane and politely stated, "Would you rather circle or split the lane?" (the option of not sharing was not on the table). "Well," she says as she pulls on her fins, "I was going to swim some butterfly now, so it might be hard to share a lane." Note that this is a very nice pool with lane widths at least at 8'. My potential responses were: "The Butterfly-Solo-Lane Trick? Lady, I invented that!" "Awesome! I love butterfly. What set are we going to do and do you want to lead or shall I?" "Lady, I've swum 200 flys in workout with 4 guys with a minimum 6'6" wingspans in the same lane. No biggie." "Cool. I'll take the left side, then?" I opted for #4, slipped in and started my swim without another word. As for stupid pool rules, I hate the pools that require me to wear a cap ... as if covering 9% of my body (source: en.wikipedia.org/.../Total_body_surface_area) means that the other 91% doesn't have whatever germs or what not they are trying to keep out of the water with a cap.
Children
No Data