Underwater kicking and height

http:/.../ViewNewsArticle.aspx So I read this and the study did not take into account physiology, or more specifically height when measuring underwater kicking performance. I would be curious if shorter swimmers can underwater kick as fast or faster than taller swimmers and if they should work to exploit this more than the typical effort given to underwater kicking.
Parents
  • Nick Thoman's coach had mentioned that taller swimmers have difficulty staying *connected* to their underwater kicks as compared to shorter athletes. Not sure why, but he says that Nick takes advantage of u/w kicking with his shorter height. Interesting that he and Matt Grevers both went :44 for the 100 scy back this year. And Grevers is a giant in comparison. www.youtube.com/watch I remember seeing this! Also compare Cindy Tran (short 2x NCAA winner in 100 back, great UWs) or Natalie Coughlin with Missy Franklin (tall with sub par UWs). At 5'4", I'm pretty short for a swimmer. I was a gymnast when young, so very flexy. My times have been improving since adding more UW kicks (even in free -- I take 12 SDKs off the start of the 50 free). I agree with Allen's point above: tall swimmers have the advantage on the surface, but that advantage is erased UW. I also agree with Misty about the 15 meter rule taking away a weapon. I wouldn't go crazy and stay under forever, but I'm not decelerating at 15 meters so wouldn't mind a few more kicks, especially in long course. Oh, I don't have particularly short legs or big feet.
  • Nick Thoman's coach had mentioned that taller swimmers have difficulty staying *connected* to their underwater kicks as compared to shorter athletes. Not sure why, but he says that Nick takes advantage of u/w kicking with his shorter height. Interesting that he and Matt Grevers both went :44 for the 100 scy back this year. And Grevers is a giant in comparison. www.youtube.com/watch I remember seeing this! Also compare Cindy Tran (short 2x NCAA winner in 100 back, great UWs) or Natalie Coughlin with Missy Franklin (tall with sub par UWs). At 5'4", I'm pretty short for a swimmer. I was a gymnast when young, so very flexy. My times have been improving since adding more UW kicks (even in free -- I take 12 SDKs off the start of the 50 free). I agree with Allen's point above: tall swimmers have the advantage on the surface, but that advantage is erased UW. I also agree with Misty about the 15 meter rule taking away a weapon. I wouldn't go crazy and stay under forever, but I'm not decelerating at 15 meters so wouldn't mind a few more kicks, especially in long course. Oh, I don't have particularly short legs or big feet.
Children
No Data