Benchmarking progress - repeating sets often?

In a lot of the books, articles, vids, etc there are suggestions to do a set (like T20 or all out efforts) every 4 to 6 weeks to track training progress. Does anyone else do the same set every couple weeks (or even every week)? I've been doing this lately and seems to work for me. Maybe b/c I am so desperately out of shape and have such a poor swim strokes that I see progress each time I do a set. But, I am curious if others do this and if there is a particular name for this training style. TIA,
Parents
  • ...Here's a goal set I've been doing weekly for 4 weeks. Every week I expect to get better. I plan on keeping this going for 6-8 weeks. 20*50 kicks on 1:15, alt Fly *** by 50. Goal is to improve endurance and speed .... I think part of what makes sets like these good is initially failing. The following week there's adaptation and trying to be more efficient just to survive. What I really like is the fast feedback - every week there's some measurement showing improvement. I'm still doing other kick sets, drills, regular sets etc., each week - but Every Thursday this is the kick set.I agree on the fast feedback and the failing. I also like your test set, but I might try it swimming and switch it to back and ***, as those are the weak points in my IM (as well as the turn) and I don't swim them enough. Great thread, idea. Love to see the other test set ideas.
  • ...Here's a goal set I've been doing weekly for 4 weeks. Every week I expect to get better. I plan on keeping this going for 6-8 weeks. 20*50 kicks on 1:15, alt Fly *** by 50. Goal is to improve endurance and speed .... I think part of what makes sets like these good is initially failing. The following week there's adaptation and trying to be more efficient just to survive. What I really like is the fast feedback - every week there's some measurement showing improvement. I'm still doing other kick sets, drills, regular sets etc., each week - but Every Thursday this is the kick set.I agree on the fast feedback and the failing. I also like your test set, but I might try it swimming and switch it to back and ***, as those are the weak points in my IM (as well as the turn) and I don't swim them enough. Great thread, idea. Love to see the other test set ideas.
Children
No Data