Benchmarking progress - repeating sets often?

In a lot of the books, articles, vids, etc there are suggestions to do a set (like T20 or all out efforts) every 4 to 6 weeks to track training progress. Does anyone else do the same set every couple weeks (or even every week)? I've been doing this lately and seems to work for me. Maybe b/c I am so desperately out of shape and have such a poor swim strokes that I see progress each time I do a set. But, I am curious if others do this and if there is a particular name for this training style. TIA,
Parents
  • 5x300 is probably the set my team does more than any other. We do it as descend to fast and my coach really only cares about the fifth swim. That one needs to be as fast as possible. We'll do it with a decent amount of rest. As an example, if we did 5x300 as an aerobic set we'd normally go on 3:30 and for this set we'll go 3:50 or 4:00 instead. I have to say I usually struggle. I try to hold back on the first four but I always seem to be somewhat tired going into the fast swim, no matter what I do.
  • 5x300 is probably the set my team does more than any other. We do it as descend to fast and my coach really only cares about the fifth swim. That one needs to be as fast as possible. We'll do it with a decent amount of rest. As an example, if we did 5x300 as an aerobic set we'd normally go on 3:30 and for this set we'll go 3:50 or 4:00 instead. I have to say I usually struggle. I try to hold back on the first four but I always seem to be somewhat tired going into the fast swim, no matter what I do.
Children
No Data