Benchmarking progress - repeating sets often?

In a lot of the books, articles, vids, etc there are suggestions to do a set (like T20 or all out efforts) every 4 to 6 weeks to track training progress. Does anyone else do the same set every couple weeks (or even every week)? I've been doing this lately and seems to work for me. Maybe b/c I am so desperately out of shape and have such a poor swim strokes that I see progress each time I do a set. But, I am curious if others do this and if there is a particular name for this training style. TIA,
Parents
  • Pmccoy, I like the idea of variety of sets to select from, I should do something like this too. PWB - you are in my wheelhouse! Just did 5*300 on Monday (trying to dial in this long distance 2 beat stroke), I do love IM work and, a fan of Dave Salo's book. I'll look into the 8*100 set (and bring out my Salo book again). Here's a goal set I've been doing weekly for 4 weeks. Every week I expect to get better. I plan on keeping this going for 6-8 weeks. 20*50 kicks on 1:15, alt Fly *** by 50. Goal is to improve endurance and speed. wk1 - just survive (didn't. only made 10, then had to cheat the second 10 doing 25 stroke, 25 free. And my ankles hurt for 3 days) times ranged from 45-50 and 55-58 wk2 - just survive (Made it, but times were slow . This time ankles only hurt for a day) wk3 - First time I felt like I did them fairly well, primary muscles more or less held together 44-46 and 53-56. Started to think about number of kicks per 25 (20+ for fly), (15+ for breaststroke) wk4 - Fly's held 41-44, but was gassed by 10. *** still 53-55. *** kick still needs form work. after 12 did backstrokes held, 46. I think part of what makes sets like these good is initially failing. The following week there's adaptation and trying to be more efficient just to survive. What I really like is the fast feedback - every week there's some measurement showing improvement. I'm still doing other kick sets, drills, regular sets etc., each week - but Every Thursday this is the kick set.
  • Pmccoy, I like the idea of variety of sets to select from, I should do something like this too. PWB - you are in my wheelhouse! Just did 5*300 on Monday (trying to dial in this long distance 2 beat stroke), I do love IM work and, a fan of Dave Salo's book. I'll look into the 8*100 set (and bring out my Salo book again). Here's a goal set I've been doing weekly for 4 weeks. Every week I expect to get better. I plan on keeping this going for 6-8 weeks. 20*50 kicks on 1:15, alt Fly *** by 50. Goal is to improve endurance and speed. wk1 - just survive (didn't. only made 10, then had to cheat the second 10 doing 25 stroke, 25 free. And my ankles hurt for 3 days) times ranged from 45-50 and 55-58 wk2 - just survive (Made it, but times were slow . This time ankles only hurt for a day) wk3 - First time I felt like I did them fairly well, primary muscles more or less held together 44-46 and 53-56. Started to think about number of kicks per 25 (20+ for fly), (15+ for breaststroke) wk4 - Fly's held 41-44, but was gassed by 10. *** still 53-55. *** kick still needs form work. after 12 did backstrokes held, 46. I think part of what makes sets like these good is initially failing. The following week there's adaptation and trying to be more efficient just to survive. What I really like is the fast feedback - every week there's some measurement showing improvement. I'm still doing other kick sets, drills, regular sets etc., each week - but Every Thursday this is the kick set.
Children
No Data