Benchmarking progress - repeating sets often?

In a lot of the books, articles, vids, etc there are suggestions to do a set (like T20 or all out efforts) every 4 to 6 weeks to track training progress. Does anyone else do the same set every couple weeks (or even every week)? I've been doing this lately and seems to work for me. Maybe b/c I am so desperately out of shape and have such a poor swim strokes that I see progress each time I do a set. But, I am curious if others do this and if there is a particular name for this training style. TIA,
Parents
  • We have 88 workouts we cycle through every 3 months or so. Lots of the sets are similar or even repeated from day to day but the overall workout is always different. There are a couple benefits to doing this. Since we don't have a coach, it helps us decide what to do. No arguments or discussions over what's next... Next is whatever is on the sheet. It also is beneficial for marking progress while at the same time varied enough to not get boring. When I started, most of the sets were way beyond my capabilities. Many were written for the local high school swimmers that occasionally practiced w/ masters. Some of those are still tougher than what I can do. But every practice I can look back at what I did 3 months ago and see progress (or lack thereof). I don't remember every time for every set but I do know what I was able to accomplish on many of the more challenging sets. I'm not sure if this training has a particular name but it works for me. However, I started competitive swimming later in life so there's always lots of room to improve. This might not be quite as motivational if you get a little slower every cycle.
  • We have 88 workouts we cycle through every 3 months or so. Lots of the sets are similar or even repeated from day to day but the overall workout is always different. There are a couple benefits to doing this. Since we don't have a coach, it helps us decide what to do. No arguments or discussions over what's next... Next is whatever is on the sheet. It also is beneficial for marking progress while at the same time varied enough to not get boring. When I started, most of the sets were way beyond my capabilities. Many were written for the local high school swimmers that occasionally practiced w/ masters. Some of those are still tougher than what I can do. But every practice I can look back at what I did 3 months ago and see progress (or lack thereof). I don't remember every time for every set but I do know what I was able to accomplish on many of the more challenging sets. I'm not sure if this training has a particular name but it works for me. However, I started competitive swimming later in life so there's always lots of room to improve. This might not be quite as motivational if you get a little slower every cycle.
Children
No Data