Sprinter help

Former Member
Former Member
I am 34 years old and love to sprint. The free is my favorite even though I have some growth to do. I practice almost daily, with no formal club, on my own, and try to improve with videos from speedo and advice I find on here. My issue is I have a hard time getting in distance. I see where people swim thousands of yards, like in the challenge. I struggle so hard with this. To swim a 3,000 makes me hate swimming. I also try to judge when I have swam to a point where I am loosing technique as I don't want to practice bad technique at the sake of distance. Are there any other sprinters out there who struggle with this? Will I eventually one day move more towards distance as I age, is it possible now? Is this common. Sometimes I feel bad for only being in the pool for 30 minutes even though I may have swam a 1000 in that time. What gives? I am looking at starting a masters group at my Y very soon, hope this helps. Am I being to critical?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I agree with the second sentence and I think if you are swimming that 2,500-3,000 very intensely then you will have something to 'come down' from. You may not even need to drop the total yardage--just drop the intensity. I agree with this. In 2011 I was doing 2000m, 3 times a week and my 100yd "came down" 3 seconds (48.9 ) off my season averaged 100s (51 high) with the shave and rest. I didn't really drop yardage, I just started doing less intensity with more rest, and then focused on the details like crisp turns, starts, and finishes. As they said, don't worry about yards swam if you're working the sprints out.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I agree with the second sentence and I think if you are swimming that 2,500-3,000 very intensely then you will have something to 'come down' from. You may not even need to drop the total yardage--just drop the intensity. I agree with this. In 2011 I was doing 2000m, 3 times a week and my 100yd "came down" 3 seconds (48.9 ) off my season averaged 100s (51 high) with the shave and rest. I didn't really drop yardage, I just started doing less intensity with more rest, and then focused on the details like crisp turns, starts, and finishes. As they said, don't worry about yards swam if you're working the sprints out.
Children
No Data