Best swim brief for Competition.

Former Member
Former Member
Hi, I'm a high school swimmer who is going to continue into college. I'm considering purchasing a new swim brief either a speedo fastskin or a speedo aquablade. However, I've read that both deteriorate rather quickly and can only be used 3-4 times max. Is this true? If so I'm not sure I wanna purchase one of those. Are there any other lycra briefs that anyone would recommend? Thanks
Parents
  • Unfortunately the chemicals in pool water that break down microbial cell walls do the exact same thing to our the high strength, water repelling textiles. You can't prevent this, but you can significantly minimize it in several ways. As mentioned, don't practice or warm up in the suit, avoiding unnecessary treated water contact. Also, between events depending on circumstances, remove it and thoroughly rinse in cold water. Sometimes however the act of removing and donning the suit, which weakens the textiles, can negate the benefit of rinsing. So if you're wearing it, don't sit down and rinse yourself in cold water with suit on. When done let the suit drip dry away from heat or sunlight. Hanging in car with compressor on for the drive home works best. Lastly, store dry suit somewhere cool and dark when not in use.
  • Unfortunately the chemicals in pool water that break down microbial cell walls do the exact same thing to our the high strength, water repelling textiles. You can't prevent this, but you can significantly minimize it in several ways. As mentioned, don't practice or warm up in the suit, avoiding unnecessary treated water contact. Also, between events depending on circumstances, remove it and thoroughly rinse in cold water. Sometimes however the act of removing and donning the suit, which weakens the textiles, can negate the benefit of rinsing. So if you're wearing it, don't sit down and rinse yourself in cold water with suit on. When done let the suit drip dry away from heat or sunlight. Hanging in car with compressor on for the drive home works best. Lastly, store dry suit somewhere cool and dark when not in use.
Children
No Data