23 y/o male completely new to lap swimming. Please Help!

Former Member
Former Member
So I am currently in college and have always wanted to swim laps in a fitness capacity. Unfortunately for me my high school did not offer a swim team and I was never really exposed to lap swimming. I can swim and have run cross country in high school and long distance events throughout college. That was, until I dislocated my right knee while playing hockey. Since then, I have been seeking an ultra light impact cardio and total body alterternative, ala swimming. Given my relative noobie status to the sport, I have been dealing with many mental hurdles which are preventing me from getting into the pool. These hurdles are: -Pool ettiquete: I don't want to ruffle any feathers. -Where to start my workouts: Swimming isn't an issue. I grew up on a lake and have swam since age 5. I'm sure I'll get my butt handed to me during my first day in the water, but that's what I want. I want it so long as I know I'm going in the right direction. -Solo or in a group: I have rights to a 25 yd pool within my college gym, but we do not have a masters team or college club which also uses this pool. Should I try to make a friend at the pool so we can each push ourselves? *And the question which I'm sure all of you get from us new swimmers, what should I wear to the pool on my first day in order to not look like a complete fool? In the past while swimming relatively long distances, I always struggled with my board shorts falling down my pants. I don't want this at all while swimming my first training laps. Many guys wear either the longer competition suits or Speedos. I'm not afraid to wear a speedo at all. I wear briefs on a daily basis and would welcome wearing speedos while training if they perform better, but if a Speedo is the right suit, should I opt to wear it in the pool day 1? Any help is super appreciated and I really can't wait to join you all in the pool!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hi J_Duff, Have you checked out our Frequently Asked Questions section or our Masters Swimming 101 series? Both of these portions of our website were designed to help you feel more comfortable with beginning your swimming routine. Frequently Asked Questions: www.usms.org/.../faq.php Masters Swimming 101 series: www.usms.org/.../articlesearch.php -- T. Luke Shaheen Web Developer | U.S. Masters Swimming W: 941-556-6275 | TLShaheen@usms.org www.usms.org/admin/natoffice.php?mid=06WUS | FB: www.facebook.com/usmastersswimmingfanpage
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hi J_Duff, Have you checked out our Frequently Asked Questions section or our Masters Swimming 101 series? Both of these portions of our website were designed to help you feel more comfortable with beginning your swimming routine. Frequently Asked Questions: www.usms.org/.../faq.php Masters Swimming 101 series: www.usms.org/.../articlesearch.php -- T. Luke Shaheen Web Developer | U.S. Masters Swimming W: 941-556-6275 | TLShaheen@usms.org www.usms.org/admin/natoffice.php?mid=06WUS | FB: www.facebook.com/usmastersswimmingfanpage
Children
No Data