How often do you incorporate drills into your workouts?

Given the importance of swimming technique in preventing injuries and increasing speed and efficiency, I'm interested to find out how often masters swimmers include drills into their workouts. Are drills important to many swimmers, or are intervals and full stroke sets the main emphasis? Thanks for your help!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Yes and No :) Yes: I do drills when I am told to do drills within a coached session - but usually feel little benefit other than from the extra rest between harder sets. The main problem is that a lazy coach wont explain in advance exactly the purpose of each drill but will give the command to 'do 100m drills'. An opportunity wasted in my view. No: When no drill sets are in view or I swim on my own I try to vary my speed. For example as a warm up I will include 800m of 'mindful' swimming, focusing for 4 laps on hand entry; 4 laps on the pull; 4 laps on the push (for freestyle) ie every 4 lengths a new focus but all within my full stoke albeit at a reduced speed. For me this has the advantage that I get immediate feedback within my full stroke from 'the drill' if thats what you could call it! In that way my whole stroke benefits and my brain - such as it is - learns quicker :) Have I just contradicted myself?? :argue: T
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Yes and No :) Yes: I do drills when I am told to do drills within a coached session - but usually feel little benefit other than from the extra rest between harder sets. The main problem is that a lazy coach wont explain in advance exactly the purpose of each drill but will give the command to 'do 100m drills'. An opportunity wasted in my view. No: When no drill sets are in view or I swim on my own I try to vary my speed. For example as a warm up I will include 800m of 'mindful' swimming, focusing for 4 laps on hand entry; 4 laps on the pull; 4 laps on the push (for freestyle) ie every 4 lengths a new focus but all within my full stoke albeit at a reduced speed. For me this has the advantage that I get immediate feedback within my full stroke from 'the drill' if thats what you could call it! In that way my whole stroke benefits and my brain - such as it is - learns quicker :) Have I just contradicted myself?? :argue: T
Children
No Data