Idea: North American V. Europe MASTERS dual in Iceland

Former Member
Former Member
Idea: North American V. Europe MASTERS dual in the pool in Reykjavik, Iceland When I visited Iceland in the summer of 2012 I swam at the Laugardalslaug pool and marveled at how a city of 200,000 had such a nice aquatic complex and overall swimming culture of the locals. They even had a strong open water community. I started thinking this would be a good place for a masters meet, the idea kinda died until I watched the dual in the pool yesterday and thought why not do this masters style in Reykjavik. Thoughts from organizer promoter types out there? - Dual meet style, maybe over a long weekend Friday, Saturday and Sunday. - The Laugardalslaug aquatic center in Rekykjavik has two 50-meter pools. - Icelandair provides a free lay over up to one week in Iceland before heading on to cities in Europe etc., - The are even area's for open water swimming, really. - North America team would include Mexico and Canada. 8191 8192 Things to do in Iceland - A natural wonder - Volcanoes - Waterfalls - Thermals - Whale watching - Dining and shopping in Reykjavik - Open water swimming at Nauthólsvík Beach www.icelandair.us/.../ Note I'm not a paid agent of Iceland, just enjoyed my visit ;-)
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    awesome idea....in the summer, right? and how would "members" of the team be selected? Yep summer although they keep that outdoor pool open year round, free volcanic heat. To get it done in one extended weekend, my thoughts on team selection is each team would be limited to around 300 entrants, events would be limited to 4 to 6 individuals plus relays. In the spirit of masters open to all but since team size and entrants would be limited, entries would be first come first serve, you snooze you loose.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    awesome idea....in the summer, right? and how would "members" of the team be selected? Yep summer although they keep that outdoor pool open year round, free volcanic heat. To get it done in one extended weekend, my thoughts on team selection is each team would be limited to around 300 entrants, events would be limited to 4 to 6 individuals plus relays. In the spirit of masters open to all but since team size and entrants would be limited, entries would be first come first serve, you snooze you loose.
Children
No Data