Weight Gain

Former Member
Former Member
The more I swim, the more muscle mass I keep putting on. I have low body fat, so it's not a fat concern. My only events are swimming and running, I don't weight train, bike, etc., so there isn't something else that is causing me to bulk up. The muscle mass gain is helping my speed in the pool, but is noticeably slowing down my running. Is it possible to make your existing muscles more efficient? Any thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Is it possible to make your existing muscles more efficient? Any thoughts? Running and swimming are somewhat diametrically opposed to one another. The muscle action is different. Usually it's the other way around where running can put a damper on your swimming in that the ankles get a little tighter (which is not so great for your kick). If you keep running though, it's a great fat burner. Most swimmers carry a thin layer of insulation which develops from the body's natural response to staying warm....all depending on how cool the water is. Maybe you should choose to focus on being a better swimmer during the winter season, and then favor the heavier road work during the summer months? In most of the country, swimming competition seems to be seasonally inclined from the Fall through Spring time.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Is it possible to make your existing muscles more efficient? Any thoughts? Running and swimming are somewhat diametrically opposed to one another. The muscle action is different. Usually it's the other way around where running can put a damper on your swimming in that the ankles get a little tighter (which is not so great for your kick). If you keep running though, it's a great fat burner. Most swimmers carry a thin layer of insulation which develops from the body's natural response to staying warm....all depending on how cool the water is. Maybe you should choose to focus on being a better swimmer during the winter season, and then favor the heavier road work during the summer months? In most of the country, swimming competition seems to be seasonally inclined from the Fall through Spring time.
Children
No Data