Weight Gain

Former Member
Former Member
The more I swim, the more muscle mass I keep putting on. I have low body fat, so it's not a fat concern. My only events are swimming and running, I don't weight train, bike, etc., so there isn't something else that is causing me to bulk up. The muscle mass gain is helping my speed in the pool, but is noticeably slowing down my running. Is it possible to make your existing muscles more efficient? Any thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I agree with Lui. Swimming isn't going to bulk you up. Maybe tone and give you better definition, but a lot of that has to do with burning fat and uncovering your muscles. How are you judging your increased muscle mass? What is your diet like? I'd make sure you have been eating a proper diet and not consuming too many calories as that can lead to your weight creeping up. Are you running after swimming? When I run after I have already swam I am noticeably slower. You may just need more time for your body to recover. Also, I'd make sure you are getting enough carbs to fuel your cardio. If recovery is the issue you could try some supplements such as whey, glutamine, beta-alanine, amino acids. These have helped me recover faster and be less sore.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I agree with Lui. Swimming isn't going to bulk you up. Maybe tone and give you better definition, but a lot of that has to do with burning fat and uncovering your muscles. How are you judging your increased muscle mass? What is your diet like? I'd make sure you have been eating a proper diet and not consuming too many calories as that can lead to your weight creeping up. Are you running after swimming? When I run after I have already swam I am noticeably slower. You may just need more time for your body to recover. Also, I'd make sure you are getting enough carbs to fuel your cardio. If recovery is the issue you could try some supplements such as whey, glutamine, beta-alanine, amino acids. These have helped me recover faster and be less sore.
Children
No Data