Holiday Traditions and Swim Challenges. What's yours?

I'm working on the 12 Days of Christmas challenge that Charlotte Brynn in Stowe, Vermont has dreamt up: Pick any 12 days in December and start on day 1 with 1,000 yards or meters. The next day do 2,000. On the third day do 3,000 and so on, increasing the distance each day by an additional 1,000 yards or meters until you get to 12,000 on the 12 day of the challenge. I just did day 5, and I'm already dragging. One week to go! We also have a tradition here of doing 100 x 100 the day after Thanksgiving and on New Year's Eve. Got me wondering about what other special events and challenges other swimmers have during the holiday season. Got a fun workout with reindeer games? Or a special polar plunge event? Or some set workout you do every year like the 100 x 100 that you do with your team just for fun or as a fundraiser? If so, let me know! I'm interested to hear how other swimmers around the country ring in the New year and celebrate this festive season in swimming style.
  • My 800-400-200-100 IM swim is as extreme as I am going to get. Ok, Elaine, this one's for you. Did this today ... Fibonacci IM set The Fibonacci sequence is 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13 ... 100 IM on 1:40 (100 sec) 100 IM on 1:40 (100 sec) 200 IM on 3:20 (200 sec) 300 IM on 5:00 (300 sec) 500 IM on 8:20 (500 sec) 800 IM on 13:20 (800 sec) 's your 800 IM! 1300 IM on 21:40 (1300 sec) 3300 Total (by chance, 2*1650) Made all the intervals, too! Though not by much! What does this have to do with Christmas? Fibonacci is Italian for Father Christmas, dontcha know? I'm just happy to be able to swim at all!:bliss: Merry Christmas! :carolers:
  • Ok, Elaine, this one's for you. Did this today ... Fibonacci IM set Merry Christmas! :carolers: Bruce's degree from SDSU is in mathematics, so this is a set he can relate to for sure, even if he is a non-swimmer. Way to go, Swimosaur-us Maximus! We both wish you a very merry Christmas as well! :santa3:
  • Actually I never understood this tradition of extreme workouts after or before some celebration. IMO it actually causes extra unhealthy load on viscera. I prefer to do same yardage as usual but something easier aerobic and something I like to swim. Holiday should be holiday - in the water as well. You should enjoy holiday in the pool not torture yourself. If there's possibility to play some game like water polo instead of usual workout or just to have fun I think that can help recharge your swimming batteries. Btw today I hit 500 miles for this year and I'm glad about that. In general I don't set annual mileage goals otherwise I feel bad and guilty if I can't achieve them even if I couldn't achieve them due to reasonable reasons. I prefer to set goals for certain annual meets to improve my PBs. That takes to make good planning of the macro-cycle which should include different methods like drills, speed sets, intervals and mileage as well. This year I could swim 50 LCM br in 34.07 (my PB last year was 35.08) and 100 SCM br 1:15.71 (last year PB was 1:19.38) so this approach works great for me and I don't feel guilty for overcelebrating and don't need to punish myself for it by some extreme workouts. :banana:
  • Oh Swimosaur, you've delighted my inner geek! Thank you!!
  • Elaine - I did a thousand fly, but was not in your challenge. Butternuts forever!!!
  • Elaine - I did a thousand fly, but was not in your challenge. Butternuts forever!!! :bliss:
  • ElaineK, It is funny that you brought up the 1000 fly challenge. I was thinking that I needed to try to sneak at least 1000 fly in on New Years eve. Go for it! :cheerleader: Then, join me as a Butternut! www.grinswim.org/.../butternuts.html 8201
  • ElaineK, It is funny that you brought up the 1000 fly challenge. I was thinking that I needed to try to sneak at least 1000 fly in on New Years eve. Our coach gave us a 12 days of Christmas sprint workout. After a 1000 warm up, we did the following sprint set: 12 x 25 fly on 40 11 x 25 back on 40 10 x 25 *** on 40 9 x 25 free on 40 8 x 25 IM (two of each stroke) on 25 At the half way point, we switched to fins 7 x 25 kick on 30 6 x 25 fly on 30 5 x 25 back on 30 4 x 25 *** on 30 3 x 25 free on 30 2 x 25 kick on 30 1 x 25 choice on 30 c/d 300 I am not a sprinter by nature but it was fun.
  • Actually I never understood this tradition of extreme workouts after or before some celebration. IMO it actually causes extra unhealthy load on viscera. I prefer to do same yardage as usual but something easier aerobic and something I like to swim. Holiday should be holiday - in the water as well. You should enjoy holiday in the pool not torture yourself. If there's possibility to play some game like water polo instead of usual workout or just to have fun I think that can help recharge your swimming batteries. Btw today I hit 500 miles for this year and I'm glad about that. In general I don't set annual mileage goals otherwise I feel bad and guilty if I can't achieve them even if I couldn't achieve them due to reasonable reasons. I prefer to set goals for certain annual meets to improve my PBs. That takes to make good planning of the macro-cycle which should include different methods like drills, speed sets, intervals and mileage as well. This year I could swim 50 LCM br in 34.07 (my PB last year was 35.08) and 100 SCM br 1:15.71 (last year PB was 1:19.38) so this approach works great for me and I don't feel guilty for overcelebrating and don't need to punish myself for it by some extreme workouts. :banana: Totally agree! Great job on your PB's!