How much should I swim ?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi i know that sounds like a dumb question, but I have concerns. i have been reading some of the posts on this site and people are talking of swimming 5 or 6 days a week, I would love to do that. Currently I swim 3 times a week and put in 3,500 yards a session . I would like to increase this but for the last couple of years every time it get going I end up with tendinitis in my elbows and or shoulders. The doctors always say I'm over doing it and to back off. it seems I should be able to up my yardage or amount of swim days but I'm always afraid of injury, I am starting to get a little faster now and can feel my elbows threatening me. Could this be a stroke problem ? Or maybe I'm susceptible to tendinitis ? Any ideas how to get around this and spend more time in the pool would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Tom
Parents
  • swimspire I think I came across wrong, I kick when I swim and believe I swim pretty efficiently. I just don't do leg specific exercise in the pool in the interest of not over doing it on the legs. You mentioned "poor techinque". Would poor technique lead to tendinitus ?? I guess that would be the most important question and the reason I started this thread. The doctors say it's over use and back off and yet most people seem to be putting in more yardage than me. I don't know if anyone can really answer that i'm sure everyone is different. I was just kind of looking for some thoughts from experianced swimmers. Thanks, Tom Hi Tom, Yes, you can certainly develop tendinitis, or impingement syndrome as it is also called, from poor technique. Engaging in a repetitive motion that is executed in such a way that it places a strain on your joints (whether shoulders, or elbows) can cause inflammation. For example, if you do not have the proper body rotation while you are swimming freestyle, you will have to swing your arms more to the side in order to take a stroke. This means that your shoulders will take more of the burden and will be forced to internally rotate more than necessary in order to compensate for your flat body position in the water. Again, this is just one example of the many ways that stroke technique can affect your joints and muscles. While I agree with ourswimmer that physical therapists can work wonders, and shoulder exercises are a very important element to shoulder stabilization, prevention is key here. If you do not figure out why you are having pain in the first place, you will constantly be focusing on managing the pain as opposed to finding a solution to eliminating it. I would still strongly recommend that you find a competent coach who will be able to analyze your stroke technique. Hope this helps!
  • swimspire I think I came across wrong, I kick when I swim and believe I swim pretty efficiently. I just don't do leg specific exercise in the pool in the interest of not over doing it on the legs. You mentioned "poor techinque". Would poor technique lead to tendinitus ?? I guess that would be the most important question and the reason I started this thread. The doctors say it's over use and back off and yet most people seem to be putting in more yardage than me. I don't know if anyone can really answer that i'm sure everyone is different. I was just kind of looking for some thoughts from experianced swimmers. Thanks, Tom Hi Tom, Yes, you can certainly develop tendinitis, or impingement syndrome as it is also called, from poor technique. Engaging in a repetitive motion that is executed in such a way that it places a strain on your joints (whether shoulders, or elbows) can cause inflammation. For example, if you do not have the proper body rotation while you are swimming freestyle, you will have to swing your arms more to the side in order to take a stroke. This means that your shoulders will take more of the burden and will be forced to internally rotate more than necessary in order to compensate for your flat body position in the water. Again, this is just one example of the many ways that stroke technique can affect your joints and muscles. While I agree with ourswimmer that physical therapists can work wonders, and shoulder exercises are a very important element to shoulder stabilization, prevention is key here. If you do not figure out why you are having pain in the first place, you will constantly be focusing on managing the pain as opposed to finding a solution to eliminating it. I would still strongly recommend that you find a competent coach who will be able to analyze your stroke technique. Hope this helps!
Children
No Data