How much should I swim ?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi i know that sounds like a dumb question, but I have concerns. i have been reading some of the posts on this site and people are talking of swimming 5 or 6 days a week, I would love to do that. Currently I swim 3 times a week and put in 3,500 yards a session . I would like to increase this but for the last couple of years every time it get going I end up with tendinitis in my elbows and or shoulders. The doctors always say I'm over doing it and to back off. it seems I should be able to up my yardage or amount of swim days but I'm always afraid of injury, I am starting to get a little faster now and can feel my elbows threatening me. Could this be a stroke problem ? Or maybe I'm susceptible to tendinitis ? Any ideas how to get around this and spend more time in the pool would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Tom
Parents
  • Hi i know that sounds like a dumb question, but I have concerns. i have been reading some of the posts on this site and people are talking of swimming 5 or 6 days a week, I would love to do that. Currently I swim 3 times a week and put in 3,500 yards a session . I would like to increase this but for the last couple of years every time it get going I end up with tendinitis in my elbows and or shoulders. The doctors always say I'm over doing it and to back off. it seems I should be able to up my yardage or amount of swim days but I'm always afraid of injury, I am starting to get a little faster now and can feel my elbows threatening me. Could this be a stroke problem ? Or maybe I'm susceptible to tendinitis ? Any ideas how to get around this and spend more time in the pool would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Tom Hi Tom, I wouldn't be absolutely sure until I saw your stroke, but I am inclined to believe that you have some technique issues you need to work on, as this is the primary cause for injuries in swimming. I would also suggest that you add drills to your workout, so that you are incorporating variety into your swim without too much of the stress on your upper body during fullstroke sets. You should work on drills that develop your kick, in order to lessen the burden placed on your shoulders and elbows. By including leg-based drills into your workouts, you can still increase your yardage without using your upper body, maintain the proper ratio between leg work, arm work and fullstroke, and reduce aggravation of your injury-prone areas. Good luck! Julia
  • Hi i know that sounds like a dumb question, but I have concerns. i have been reading some of the posts on this site and people are talking of swimming 5 or 6 days a week, I would love to do that. Currently I swim 3 times a week and put in 3,500 yards a session . I would like to increase this but for the last couple of years every time it get going I end up with tendinitis in my elbows and or shoulders. The doctors always say I'm over doing it and to back off. it seems I should be able to up my yardage or amount of swim days but I'm always afraid of injury, I am starting to get a little faster now and can feel my elbows threatening me. Could this be a stroke problem ? Or maybe I'm susceptible to tendinitis ? Any ideas how to get around this and spend more time in the pool would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Tom Hi Tom, I wouldn't be absolutely sure until I saw your stroke, but I am inclined to believe that you have some technique issues you need to work on, as this is the primary cause for injuries in swimming. I would also suggest that you add drills to your workout, so that you are incorporating variety into your swim without too much of the stress on your upper body during fullstroke sets. You should work on drills that develop your kick, in order to lessen the burden placed on your shoulders and elbows. By including leg-based drills into your workouts, you can still increase your yardage without using your upper body, maintain the proper ratio between leg work, arm work and fullstroke, and reduce aggravation of your injury-prone areas. Good luck! Julia
Children
No Data