How much should I swim ?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi i know that sounds like a dumb question, but I have concerns. i have been reading some of the posts on this site and people are talking of swimming 5 or 6 days a week, I would love to do that. Currently I swim 3 times a week and put in 3,500 yards a session . I would like to increase this but for the last couple of years every time it get going I end up with tendinitis in my elbows and or shoulders. The doctors always say I'm over doing it and to back off. it seems I should be able to up my yardage or amount of swim days but I'm always afraid of injury, I am starting to get a little faster now and can feel my elbows threatening me. Could this be a stroke problem ? Or maybe I'm susceptible to tendinitis ? Any ideas how to get around this and spend more time in the pool would be greatly appreciated. Thank You, Tom
Parents
  • What are you training for - fitness? racing? If racing, pool or open water? If pool, sprints or distance? I'm no sports medicine doc and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but stroke technique issues can lead to injuries. You're certainly not doing a volume that is anywhere near approaching 'over-use' so it might be good to have a coach who is good with technique check out our stroke. I've just gone through about a year of rehab for a shoulder issue and, in the end, the only thing that worked to get me back to training was finding a physical therapist who knew swimmers.
  • What are you training for - fitness? racing? If racing, pool or open water? If pool, sprints or distance? I'm no sports medicine doc and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but stroke technique issues can lead to injuries. You're certainly not doing a volume that is anywhere near approaching 'over-use' so it might be good to have a coach who is good with technique check out our stroke. I've just gone through about a year of rehab for a shoulder issue and, in the end, the only thing that worked to get me back to training was finding a physical therapist who knew swimmers.
Children
No Data