Hip arthritis and hip replacements in swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I have been diagnosed with advanced arthritis in both hips. I'm only 49. I'm being told I'll need the hips replaced sooner than later. I have been training hard and competing successfully for the past several years. Breaststroke is my competitive event. Does anyone have experience with arthritic hips? Can you advise if you think swimming (and swimming breaststroke) has made things worse or better. I usually swim 5-6x week, up to about 3500 yards per workout. I am a healthy eater, a personal trainer for a living, very flexible, take supplements for these conditions etc. Also if anyone out there is swimming with artificial hips, would you please share your experience. Many thanks.
Parents
  • :bighug: I just turned 52 yesterday and have arthritis in my hips (it's bad in my left hip since my leg is 1/2 inch longer than my right). My doctor told me pretty much the same thing, so I feel your pain. At this point, I am forgoing coritsone and doing my PT exercises diligently which has helped. When I have to, I pop a Zipsor, although I try to avoid NSAIDs most of the time. Big push-offs and block starts aggravate my hips as well. I'm a mess after a swim meet! If anybody out there has good advice on a good push-off technique (off the blocks or wall), I will be interested as well. The mental adjustment is hard, I know. I had to make mental adjustments years ago when major surgery forced me to give up some of the activities I loved, including kayak surfing. Since getting back into swimming and joining USMS four years ago, I have had to make further adjustments in my training and racing due to several physical issues. Fortunately, in swimming, we have two arms, two legs, and four strokes. I try to approach it with a glass half-full attitude. When my hip is still in pain after warm-up (which is usually the case for several days or even weeks after a swim meet), I have to cut back on kicking and push off the wall softly. On freestyle, I basically use my legs for balance, and on breaststroke, I work on my pull with an easy dolphin kick. It comes down to finding a work-around on those days when the pain is greater. Time goals are also off the table, because I never know when one of my various body parts in question is going to :bitching:. Genetically, I'm a mess with a body not built for the long haul; however, if I didn't swim six days/week, I would be doing a lot worse :cane:. I hate how I feel on my day off, but I know my muscles need a day to recover. If it comes down to swimming my races instead of all-out racing my races, so be it. It has taken a lot mentally to be able to accept it, but the alternative is worse. I can't imagine not showing up at a meet and missing out on the fun, friendship, and competition, even if I can't compete at my best. At Mission Viejo Nationals, I was a wreck and my times were a total embarrassment; however, I had a blast just being there! Hoodoo, do you compete? If so, give some thought to thinking outside of the box for future meets. Is there a stroke that is less painful for you and easier on your hip? Even if it's not your best stroke, think about trying it in competition. Perhaps go for high points at a meet instead of personal best times, and sign up for those less-painful events. For me, my right shoulder has significant arthritis and can't handle the fast turnover rate of sprint fly any more; however, it does fine in a controlled slow 200 fly (or even longer). The long glide and easy kick is hip-friendly, too, so it has become an event I like to "race," even though I am slow at it. Along with 400 IM, it earns me points that make winning high points awards a lot more feasible than getting a best time in my core events. Feel free to send me a PM any time you need to :blah: , as I can empathize with what you are going through.
  • :bighug: I just turned 52 yesterday and have arthritis in my hips (it's bad in my left hip since my leg is 1/2 inch longer than my right). My doctor told me pretty much the same thing, so I feel your pain. At this point, I am forgoing coritsone and doing my PT exercises diligently which has helped. When I have to, I pop a Zipsor, although I try to avoid NSAIDs most of the time. Big push-offs and block starts aggravate my hips as well. I'm a mess after a swim meet! If anybody out there has good advice on a good push-off technique (off the blocks or wall), I will be interested as well. The mental adjustment is hard, I know. I had to make mental adjustments years ago when major surgery forced me to give up some of the activities I loved, including kayak surfing. Since getting back into swimming and joining USMS four years ago, I have had to make further adjustments in my training and racing due to several physical issues. Fortunately, in swimming, we have two arms, two legs, and four strokes. I try to approach it with a glass half-full attitude. When my hip is still in pain after warm-up (which is usually the case for several days or even weeks after a swim meet), I have to cut back on kicking and push off the wall softly. On freestyle, I basically use my legs for balance, and on breaststroke, I work on my pull with an easy dolphin kick. It comes down to finding a work-around on those days when the pain is greater. Time goals are also off the table, because I never know when one of my various body parts in question is going to :bitching:. Genetically, I'm a mess with a body not built for the long haul; however, if I didn't swim six days/week, I would be doing a lot worse :cane:. I hate how I feel on my day off, but I know my muscles need a day to recover. If it comes down to swimming my races instead of all-out racing my races, so be it. It has taken a lot mentally to be able to accept it, but the alternative is worse. I can't imagine not showing up at a meet and missing out on the fun, friendship, and competition, even if I can't compete at my best. At Mission Viejo Nationals, I was a wreck and my times were a total embarrassment; however, I had a blast just being there! Hoodoo, do you compete? If so, give some thought to thinking outside of the box for future meets. Is there a stroke that is less painful for you and easier on your hip? Even if it's not your best stroke, think about trying it in competition. Perhaps go for high points at a meet instead of personal best times, and sign up for those less-painful events. For me, my right shoulder has significant arthritis and can't handle the fast turnover rate of sprint fly any more; however, it does fine in a controlled slow 200 fly (or even longer). The long glide and easy kick is hip-friendly, too, so it has become an event I like to "race," even though I am slow at it. Along with 400 IM, it earns me points that make winning high points awards a lot more feasible than getting a best time in my core events. Feel free to send me a PM any time you need to :blah: , as I can empathize with what you are going through.
Children
No Data