Hip arthritis and hip replacements in swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I have been diagnosed with advanced arthritis in both hips. I'm only 49. I'm being told I'll need the hips replaced sooner than later. I have been training hard and competing successfully for the past several years. Breaststroke is my competitive event. Does anyone have experience with arthritic hips? Can you advise if you think swimming (and swimming breaststroke) has made things worse or better. I usually swim 5-6x week, up to about 3500 yards per workout. I am a healthy eater, a personal trainer for a living, very flexible, take supplements for these conditions etc. Also if anyone out there is swimming with artificial hips, would you please share your experience. Many thanks.
Parents
  • I know it's tough but, you will need to dial back on what your have done in the past. You will know when it is time to get a replacement when you hurt so much that it takes over your life & swimming. Many of us that have gone thru this, say "I wish I would have done it sooner " the pain is something that we have all lived with for too long. Good luck wit adapting, but ---- you will.
  • I know it's tough but, you will need to dial back on what your have done in the past. You will know when it is time to get a replacement when you hurt so much that it takes over your life & swimming. Many of us that have gone thru this, say "I wish I would have done it sooner " the pain is something that we have all lived with for too long. Good luck wit adapting, but ---- you will.
Children
No Data