Hip arthritis and hip replacements in swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I have been diagnosed with advanced arthritis in both hips. I'm only 49. I'm being told I'll need the hips replaced sooner than later. I have been training hard and competing successfully for the past several years. Breaststroke is my competitive event. Does anyone have experience with arthritic hips? Can you advise if you think swimming (and swimming breaststroke) has made things worse or better. I usually swim 5-6x week, up to about 3500 yards per workout. I am a healthy eater, a personal trainer for a living, very flexible, take supplements for these conditions etc. Also if anyone out there is swimming with artificial hips, would you please share your experience. Many thanks.
Parents
  • I am 51 and having issues with my right hip (torn labrum). The ortho predicts a hip replacement in 10 years, but I am having issues now. Have had a cortisone shot, but that seemed to only dull the pain for a couple of weeks. So I'm looking at alternative treatments (chiro, sports therapy, etc.) to see how long I can last (don't think I will make it to 10 years). A couple of questions: have noticed that big push-offs in the pool can REALLY aggravate it. The tough part is that I get frustrated while swimming as my kicking, push-offs and time have been affected by my gimpy hip. Any suggestions of how to push effectively off the side without putting too much strain on the hip? How about a modified kicking position? Any tips on mentally adjusting to the onset of time? I have been feeling a little depressed because of all of this. It's frustrating to tell the thearapist that I am already doing the exercise they recommend the most and I sometimes feel that is about to be jeopardized as well. Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions/links, etc.
  • I am 51 and having issues with my right hip (torn labrum). The ortho predicts a hip replacement in 10 years, but I am having issues now. Have had a cortisone shot, but that seemed to only dull the pain for a couple of weeks. So I'm looking at alternative treatments (chiro, sports therapy, etc.) to see how long I can last (don't think I will make it to 10 years). A couple of questions: have noticed that big push-offs in the pool can REALLY aggravate it. The tough part is that I get frustrated while swimming as my kicking, push-offs and time have been affected by my gimpy hip. Any suggestions of how to push effectively off the side without putting too much strain on the hip? How about a modified kicking position? Any tips on mentally adjusting to the onset of time? I have been feeling a little depressed because of all of this. It's frustrating to tell the thearapist that I am already doing the exercise they recommend the most and I sometimes feel that is about to be jeopardized as well. Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions/links, etc.
Children
No Data