Hip arthritis and hip replacements in swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
I have been diagnosed with advanced arthritis in both hips. I'm only 49. I'm being told I'll need the hips replaced sooner than later. I have been training hard and competing successfully for the past several years. Breaststroke is my competitive event. Does anyone have experience with arthritic hips? Can you advise if you think swimming (and swimming breaststroke) has made things worse or better. I usually swim 5-6x week, up to about 3500 yards per workout. I am a healthy eater, a personal trainer for a living, very flexible, take supplements for these conditions etc. Also if anyone out there is swimming with artificial hips, would you please share your experience. Many thanks.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    At the age of 28 I was diagnosed with Ankylosing spondylitis. A form of arthritis. This is what really sparked my interest back up in swimming. *** is one of my favorite practice strokes while the free is my favorite in competitions. I would recommend if you could during practices to wear a tigher suit that will come down the thigh. Briefs for men are best for *** as they allow greater hip rotation. If you were to wear a competition style jammer it would prevent the over rotation in the hip that is normally looked for and thus help in the pain. This would be my advice. Would still allow for you to do the stroke you allow but also not allow you to over rotate. I have not had any replacement surgery's but I have family who has had them and they have all been advised to SWIM! Stay positive.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    At the age of 28 I was diagnosed with Ankylosing spondylitis. A form of arthritis. This is what really sparked my interest back up in swimming. *** is one of my favorite practice strokes while the free is my favorite in competitions. I would recommend if you could during practices to wear a tigher suit that will come down the thigh. Briefs for men are best for *** as they allow greater hip rotation. If you were to wear a competition style jammer it would prevent the over rotation in the hip that is normally looked for and thus help in the pain. This would be my advice. Would still allow for you to do the stroke you allow but also not allow you to over rotate. I have not had any replacement surgery's but I have family who has had them and they have all been advised to SWIM! Stay positive.
Children
No Data