Dry land training

Hey peeps. What do you do for dry land training? Does your team work out together or do you do this on your own? I wish my team did, but we don't. I'd like to find some good ideas on how to get stronger. The goal? Someday beat the guys on my team. They seem to just get faster at the same rate I do.... -- Kari
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Where does one look for more information about that style of lifting? I also recommend a routine based around the olympic barbell plus dips and pullups. I did this in preparation for a meet in 2012 and went 4 lifetime best times. The best resource is probably the book "Starting Strength". It goes into tedious detail on how to safely do all the lifts with lots of pictures. A similar program is Stronglifts which is pretty much a copy of the program in Starting Strength but doing (pendlay) rows instead of power cleans. Rows are good for swimming I think as they help strengthen lats but you might want to also do cleans. The only modifications to the above programs is you might want to do is skip bench press or be careful with it as it can be hard on a swimmer's shoulders (do dips instead) and add pull ups. If you want more motivation to try a program like this, you should read this: www.mensjournal.com/.../everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie-20120504
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Where does one look for more information about that style of lifting? I also recommend a routine based around the olympic barbell plus dips and pullups. I did this in preparation for a meet in 2012 and went 4 lifetime best times. The best resource is probably the book "Starting Strength". It goes into tedious detail on how to safely do all the lifts with lots of pictures. A similar program is Stronglifts which is pretty much a copy of the program in Starting Strength but doing (pendlay) rows instead of power cleans. Rows are good for swimming I think as they help strengthen lats but you might want to also do cleans. The only modifications to the above programs is you might want to do is skip bench press or be careful with it as it can be hard on a swimmer's shoulders (do dips instead) and add pull ups. If you want more motivation to try a program like this, you should read this: www.mensjournal.com/.../everything-you-know-about-fitness-is-a-lie-20120504
Children
No Data