My 500 freestyle time is terrible. need a faster solution

My 500 yd scy freestyle time is terrible. I am not breaking 7 minutes. I would like to know if there are any fast ways to improve my times. My masters coach has given me advice, but the results are very slow. I am not looking for a magic pill or anything like that. I am looking for a workout solution. Any tips?
Parents
  • My 500 yd scy freestyle time is terrible. I am not breaking 7 minutes. I would like to know if there are any fast ways to improve my times. My masters coach has given me advice, but the results are very slow. I am not looking for a magic pill or anything like that. I am looking for a workout solution. Any tips? I am 43. I didn't start Masters swimming till a 18 months ago. I get about 8k yards in a week. (1 hour , 3 days a week averaging 2500-2800 yards. I never swam that distance when I was younger. My issue is I have been holding at around 1:30 for a while and I can't seem to get down to 1:25 or 1:20, for 500 yards. I just keep running out of gas. I can go much faster for a single 100 or 200 though. I have been slowly improving my stroke technique. As far as average times go, The 40-44 age group times seem to hover around the low 6 minute mark on average. The has been the case at the meets I have been to. You can Swim Faster Faster you want to improve your 500 FR. you want to break 7 minutes. which is averaging 1:24 per 100 you asked: "Are any fast ways to improve my times?" you are 43. started Masters swimming 18 months ago. you do about 8k yards in a week. (1 hour , 3 days a week averaging 2500-2800 yards.) Dude, you're not training enough. you need to swim 5 to 6x per week, 75 to 90 minutes per practice doing 3,500 to 4,500 you need to swim faster in practice. It works if you work it. read my answers about this fellow who asked why his last 150 in his 500's falls off
  • My 500 yd scy freestyle time is terrible. I am not breaking 7 minutes. I would like to know if there are any fast ways to improve my times. My masters coach has given me advice, but the results are very slow. I am not looking for a magic pill or anything like that. I am looking for a workout solution. Any tips? I am 43. I didn't start Masters swimming till a 18 months ago. I get about 8k yards in a week. (1 hour , 3 days a week averaging 2500-2800 yards. I never swam that distance when I was younger. My issue is I have been holding at around 1:30 for a while and I can't seem to get down to 1:25 or 1:20, for 500 yards. I just keep running out of gas. I can go much faster for a single 100 or 200 though. I have been slowly improving my stroke technique. As far as average times go, The 40-44 age group times seem to hover around the low 6 minute mark on average. The has been the case at the meets I have been to. You can Swim Faster Faster you want to improve your 500 FR. you want to break 7 minutes. which is averaging 1:24 per 100 you asked: "Are any fast ways to improve my times?" you are 43. started Masters swimming 18 months ago. you do about 8k yards in a week. (1 hour , 3 days a week averaging 2500-2800 yards.) Dude, you're not training enough. you need to swim 5 to 6x per week, 75 to 90 minutes per practice doing 3,500 to 4,500 you need to swim faster in practice. It works if you work it. read my answers about this fellow who asked why his last 150 in his 500's falls off
Children
No Data