My 500 freestyle time is terrible. need a faster solution

My 500 yd scy freestyle time is terrible. I am not breaking 7 minutes. I would like to know if there are any fast ways to improve my times. My masters coach has given me advice, but the results are very slow. I am not looking for a magic pill or anything like that. I am looking for a workout solution. Any tips?
Parents
  • - Long sets (maybe 1000 total yards) with intervals that leave you short rest (5-10 seconds). 3-4k/day, 5 days a week. I see the definition of a "long set" may vary. :) But, really, I think sets like 10x300 where you're getting 5-10 rest between repeats pay dividends for the 500 free. A 1000 yard set just seems really short to me, but it may be a good place starting point for someone who isn't used to long, aerobic training.
  • - Long sets (maybe 1000 total yards) with intervals that leave you short rest (5-10 seconds). 3-4k/day, 5 days a week. I see the definition of a "long set" may vary. :) But, really, I think sets like 10x300 where you're getting 5-10 rest between repeats pay dividends for the 500 free. A 1000 yard set just seems really short to me, but it may be a good place starting point for someone who isn't used to long, aerobic training.
Children
No Data