Pull Buoy

I have found my crutch with the Buoy, and now I can't swim without it. Any suggestion on how to get rid of it?
Parents
  • I'm assuming the hard-to-give-up part is the free "high hips" and nice, low-drag feeling the pull buoy provides? If so, playing around with other ways to get your hips up might be the answer. Total Immersion talks about keeping the extended arm extended just a bit longer than you otherwise might ("front quadrant swimming"), pressing your chest down just a bit so you pivot a bit over your center of balance (like a see-saw), and making sure to not raise your head (which makes the see-saw go the wrong way). There are probably lots of other hip-raising tips out there. Going cold turkey will be tough if you get that sinky-draggy climbing uphill feeling without the buoy.
  • I'm assuming the hard-to-give-up part is the free "high hips" and nice, low-drag feeling the pull buoy provides? If so, playing around with other ways to get your hips up might be the answer. Total Immersion talks about keeping the extended arm extended just a bit longer than you otherwise might ("front quadrant swimming"), pressing your chest down just a bit so you pivot a bit over your center of balance (like a see-saw), and making sure to not raise your head (which makes the see-saw go the wrong way). There are probably lots of other hip-raising tips out there. Going cold turkey will be tough if you get that sinky-draggy climbing uphill feeling without the buoy.
Children
No Data