Registering unattached or with and "umbrella" team

So it is just about that time to re-register. With my Local Masters Swimming program (NJ), I can register as unattached or with the LMSC's "umbrella" team (GSM). The LMSC states that with the umbrella team I can swim relays (with other swimmers from the GSM group) unlike the unattached option. Just trying to figure out any other pros and cons. Last year, my first year in USMS, I did go with the umbrella team, however I never opted to swim in a relay. I currently workout alone (no club or workout group), but am entertaining the idea of someday joining a coached club or workout group. Are there any issues switching to a team mid season? -Mark
  • If you register unattached you can transfer to a club and workout group at any time, by completing the transfer form and paying the transfer fee. If you register with GSM you can transfer to another club (not GSM) at any time, by completing the transfer form and paying the transfer fee. PROVIDED you have not represented GSM in a competition in the last 60 days. If you register with GSM and workout group your transfer to another GSM workout group the transfer should be done in accordance with GSM rules; whatever they may be.
  • Ok thanks. I thought there was a 60 day no-compete rule, but did not remember the details.
  • I'm glad to see the rules for "jumping into a team" for records reason.