Too Much Swimming ?

Apologies in advance to anyone who does not live in my geographical area. I know that some geographical areas do not have the opportunites that I have in my geographical area. Do I swim too much? Aside from normal workouts I have participated in quite a number of swim meets/events in the last rolloing 12 months. Long Beach - SCM Mission Viejo - SCY Santa Clarita - SCY Pasadena (Rose Bowl) - SCY Pasadena (CalTech) - SCY Irvine - SCY Woodland Hills - SCY Los Angeles - SCY Pasadena (Senior Games) LCM Los Angeles - SCM 3,000 Yard Postal Brute Challenge (Postal) Sprint Pentathalon (Postal) Middle Distance Pentathalon (Postal) Iron Man Pentathalon (Postal) One Hour Postal Swim I Swam A Marathon (Postal) Piers & Beers (Open Water) Corona Del Mar (Open Water) When I combine all these together I have completed three complete Check-Off Challenges. Not included above is Go The Distance. 2013 is the first time I have tried Open Water Swimming events. Also not listed above are my Swim-A-Thons.
  • Questions to ask yourself that would answer your own question: 1. Are you having fun? 2. Do you still feel like you want to swim and can't wait until you get back in the water? 3. Are you staying injury free? 4. Do you still have enough energy to work and do other activities aside from swimming? 5. Are you sleeping and eating well (no insomnia or loss of appetite)? If you can answer "Yes!" to all these questions, then I would say the answer to your question is "NO!" :cheerleader: Keep on swimmin' and keep on having fun!
  • If you pass Elaine's questions, being able to attend all those meets is well worth it. Almost as bad as an injury is just not being able to make it
  • No disagreement with the above, but what's "Piers & Beers"? Was that the attempt to swim around all of the SoCal piers that you wrote about earlier this year?
  • Quality.... not Quantity I disagree if quality is not Bill's goal. If he just enjoys swimming and is not out to win, quantity is what it's about; just being a part of the action. From what I know about Bill (having talked with him in person a few times), it's, "Quantity or bust!" :banana:
  • I find that the more I compete within a given season, the faster I get. Experience is an amazing teacher.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I would say that all those meets likely knocked down your weekly avg quite a bit.... perhaps the question should be: Enough Swimming?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Quality.... not Quantity
  • Everyone who participates on the Piers & Beers swim is transported by a British double-decker bus up and down Pacific Coast Highway before and after each pier. "What happens on the bus, stays on the bus."
  • Everyone who participates on the Piers & Beers swim is transported by a British double-decker bus up and down Pacific Coast Highway before and after each pier. "What happens on the bus, stays on the bus."I don't think you're swimming too much, Bill. I think the rest of us non-Californians are jealous we don't get the opportunities to swim and race and play in the water as much as you do. Thanks for the race tip, as well: I'm also putting this -- openwaterpedia.com/index.php -- on my bucket list of open water swims.
  • 1 - Yes, Having Fun ! 2 - Like they chanted at the end of Piers & Beers - "Four More Piers, Four More Piers, etc." At the end of some swim meets I feel like is that all there is? 3 - Yes, injury free 4 - There are activities outside of swimming ?! Just kidding. I do a lot of volunteer work too. 5 - No problems eating or sleeping. I eat more since last year. Still keeping the weight off too. Piers & Beers was the swim that I had previously mentioned. Balboa, Newport, Huntington, Seal Beach. I'm on the list to do it again next year. My Go The Distance average did not suffer at all. I actually did not back off in this area until I reached 500 miles. That was only because I started to focus more on my Butterfly. I enjoy going to the swim meets and meeting everyone. Received a nice compliment from the UCLA Women's Relay Team on my 400 IM a couple of weeks ago. That was very nice of them. I try for both Quality and Quantity.