Two days until race day--best prep? Please help.

55 ys old...swam way back when (70s), and just got back into it a little over a year ago. Back then there was some talk of tapering, but we were told "don't lift weights" and there was very little about nutrition or supplements. So I am swimming Saturday....50m free and 50m ***, short course, with about 30 minutes between events. I've been doing about 1500-2000 per workout in a 20-yard pool, with a long warmup (about half a mile) and then using the rest of the workout to do sprints at about 80-90% of race speed (60s, 40s, and 20s...except for 20's, where I go all out). I do some easy sets in between the sprints. Last time (3 wks ago) I did 28.16 in 50 yard free. I want to improve on that (adjusted for meters, of course). What should I be doing the next two days in terms of prep...I mean swimming, dry-land exercise, and especially diet in the two days before, and on race day. I especially want to know what is the best way to stay loose and not tighten up for the second race.
Parents
  • 55 ys old...swam way back when (70s), and just got back into it a little over a year ago. Back then there was some talk of tapering, but we were told "don't lift weights" and there was very little about nutrition or supplements. So I am swimming Saturday....50m free and 50m ***, short course, with about 30 minutes between events. I've been doing about 1500-2000 per workout in a 20-yard pool, with a long warmup (about half a mile) and then using the rest of the workout to do sprints at about 80-90% of race speed (60s, 40s, and 20s...except for 20's, where I go all out). I do some easy sets in between the sprints. Last time (3 wks ago) I did 28.16 in 50 yard free. I want to improve on that (adjusted for meters, of course). What should I be doing the next two days in terms of prep...I mean swimming, dry-land exercise, and especially diet in the two days before, and on race day. I especially want to know what is the best way to stay loose and not tighten up for the second race. You want to prevent your muscles from tightening up, so you need to do a light warm down immediately after your first race. Be sure to keep hydrated. Stretching exercises are also important to keep your muscles loose. Keep moving around - don't allow yourself to sit for too long, or your muscles will tighten up and you'll feel stiff and sore. If you have time, jump in the pool for another lap or two a little before your race. Good luck!!
  • 55 ys old...swam way back when (70s), and just got back into it a little over a year ago. Back then there was some talk of tapering, but we were told "don't lift weights" and there was very little about nutrition or supplements. So I am swimming Saturday....50m free and 50m ***, short course, with about 30 minutes between events. I've been doing about 1500-2000 per workout in a 20-yard pool, with a long warmup (about half a mile) and then using the rest of the workout to do sprints at about 80-90% of race speed (60s, 40s, and 20s...except for 20's, where I go all out). I do some easy sets in between the sprints. Last time (3 wks ago) I did 28.16 in 50 yard free. I want to improve on that (adjusted for meters, of course). What should I be doing the next two days in terms of prep...I mean swimming, dry-land exercise, and especially diet in the two days before, and on race day. I especially want to know what is the best way to stay loose and not tighten up for the second race. You want to prevent your muscles from tightening up, so you need to do a light warm down immediately after your first race. Be sure to keep hydrated. Stretching exercises are also important to keep your muscles loose. Keep moving around - don't allow yourself to sit for too long, or your muscles will tighten up and you'll feel stiff and sore. If you have time, jump in the pool for another lap or two a little before your race. Good luck!!
Children
No Data