Butterfly with Breaststroke kick

Former Member
Former Member
I'll apologize in advance, but I'm a breaststroker and my butterfly sux. Looking for an opinion on rule 101.3.3. I'm doing the butterfly with a breaststroke kick, just like I did in 10 & unders. QUESTION 1: Is it legal to do one breaststroke kick in to the arm stroke, and then one dolphin kick out? QUESTION 2: As long as I'm complying with the 15m rule, can I do SL dolphin kicks off the start and walls, then one breaststroke kick into a pull which pops me to the surface. Again, I'm an old breaststroker looking for a loop hole in the rules.
  • Alternating means,basically, flutter kicking.If your right foot is above your left,or v.v.,that is legal as long as they stay that way throughout each length.If you start with the right foot higher and somewhere down the pool the left foot gets higher,you have done an illegal flutter kick to get there. Hmm, that makes sense. But what about the scenario where someone's feet are together just before the first dolphin kick, and one foot starts a downbeat a 10th of a second before the other, but then they come up together again?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    It is being judged by the naked eye and so anything that looks together is going to be ok. Unless they have superman vision or something.
  • Another question about fly guys. I was watching a GoSwim video with Glen Mills talking about the underwater body dolphin. He was describing the motion as compressing your back while pressing with the chest, then releasing. I tried that in the water today and it actually felt really good in the sense that by concentrating the tension in my lower back it allowed me to relax my legs and my dolphin kick flowed more naturally. I also tried applying it to my butterfly and, by golly, my rhythm was better and I was faster. The only concern I have is that I could really feel it in the lower back afterward and I want to make sure I'm not going to injure myself or anything. My wife says they do that back compression in Pilates all the time, so I guess that feeling may have been due to me not using that area much before and I'll get used to it. Would some of you consider that the way you body dolphin or swim the fly, i.e. compressing the lower back?
  • Would some of you consider that the way you body dolphin or swim the fly, i.e. compressing the lower back? I've always thought of my dolphin kick in terms of my abdominals, hips, and legs. So I tried thinking about it this way today. It seemed like I was riding a bit higher in butterfly, particularly while breathing. I think it was slightly faster but more testing is needed. Good tip, thanks!