Dolphin kick off walls - freestyle

Former Member
Former Member
Hi i counted my dolphin kicks after flip turn and i took 11 dolphin kicks to reach the 15m mark. Is that a good number? those dolphin kick were swift and fast ones. Should i dolphin kick after walls or just flip turn and freestyle? I am aiming for 5-6 dolphin kicks for a 200m freestyle race. Also is there any advantage for dolphin kicking off walls instead of just transitioning to normal freestyle?
Parents
  • Gary Hall actually appears to take the opposite view, from the articles that I have read. In his Finis blog from December 7, 2012, he debunks the myth that "kicking is overrated". (www.finisinc.com/.../gary-hall-swimming-myths-debunked-6). It's strange because I know Gary posted more or less the same thing here, but now I can't find it. It must have been deleted. And, yes, he certainly advocates kicking as being important but I definitely recall him saying (and it may have been a reply to the original posting) that sometimes you've got to realize that if you're not a good kicker you probably shouldn't concentrate on it. Does anyone else remember this or am I dreaming? Kicking is important and the vast majority of the top swimmers have great kicks. However, not everyone should be spending a lot of time underwater just because the elites are doing it. Yes, work on this skill for sure, but I think at some point you've got to realize that some people are naturals at this skill and others are not. You need to find out what works best for you, personally.
  • Gary Hall actually appears to take the opposite view, from the articles that I have read. In his Finis blog from December 7, 2012, he debunks the myth that "kicking is overrated". (www.finisinc.com/.../gary-hall-swimming-myths-debunked-6). It's strange because I know Gary posted more or less the same thing here, but now I can't find it. It must have been deleted. And, yes, he certainly advocates kicking as being important but I definitely recall him saying (and it may have been a reply to the original posting) that sometimes you've got to realize that if you're not a good kicker you probably shouldn't concentrate on it. Does anyone else remember this or am I dreaming? Kicking is important and the vast majority of the top swimmers have great kicks. However, not everyone should be spending a lot of time underwater just because the elites are doing it. Yes, work on this skill for sure, but I think at some point you've got to realize that some people are naturals at this skill and others are not. You need to find out what works best for you, personally.
Children
No Data