swimming using only legs

Former Member
Former Member
I haven't yet learned to breathe while swimming, but by using a snorkle I get 30-minutes of "swimming" every day. Right now, I'm primarily interested in the physical benefits of swimming, but I'll eventually get around to learning to swim properly. Anyway, at present, I do the following: (1) With snorkle, SHORT SWIM FINS, and tiny float board designed for underwater use: I swim loops underwater continuously for thirty-minutes using only my legs. (2) With snorkle, pull buoy, and swim fins: I swim loops underwater continuously for thirty-minutes using only my arms. I have no problems doing the above routines, but I haven't been able to swim using only my legs if I don't use swim fins. My legs keep dropping. QUESTION: Should I be able to swim using only my legs without swim fins? Can anyone do that?
  • Hi Niku, it certainly is possible - and encouraged - to kick without fins! I would suggest you try kicking on your side (one arm extended in front of you, the other arm at your side, head resting on your shoulder and rotate your head to breathe as needed). Try to kick more from your hips than your knees and keep the hips closer to the surface of the water. You can do this drill with fins and it will help you learn how to keep your hips at the surface of the water. Eventually, you can try some sets of kicking, alternating between fins and no fins. Good luck! Julia Galan www.swimspire.com
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Hi Niku, it certainly is possible - and encouraged - to kick without fins! I would suggest you try kicking on your side (one arm extended in front of you, the other arm at your side, head resting on your shoulder and rotate your head to breathe as needed). Try to kick more from your hips than your knees and keep the hips closer to the surface of the water. You can do this drill with fins and it will help you learn how to keep your hips at the surface of the water. Eventually, you can try some sets of kicking, alternating between fins and no fins. Good luck! Julia Galan www.swimspire.com Thanks for the feedback. My delay in responding is simply because I was expecting to receive a reply by E-mail. Anyway, your crystal-clear answer doesn't leave any room for ambiguity, and it is clear that I should be able to swim WITHOUT ARM PROPULSION. That seems impossible now, but I haven't yet tried swimming on my side. Maybe that's the answer. I'm sure that it is. Thanks again.
  • That being said above, you really need lessons to learn how to swim!!!! There are many ways to do this. What you are doing is not swimming! You can start by holding the edge/side of the pool & blowing air out of your NOSE with your mouth closed to at least try to learn how to breathe. Please look for lessons soon.