Shoulder surgery scheduled...looking for advice

I have a 75% tear of my rotator cuff that I am having repaired arthroscopically next month. I am looking for any suggestions from folks who have survived shoulder injuries on pain management, sleep techniques, icing options, etc. Dos and Don'ts of recovery would be great, too. Thanks! Danielle
Parents
  • I am thinking of going to free swim for 30 minutes during my daughter's synchro practice and leisurely kicking on my back and maybe doing some gentle egg beatering and/or sculling. For rotator cuff folks, what did you do during your first "swims"? Danielle I went in the pool at 3 weeks as soon as my incisions were healed. For the first few weeks I kept my surgical arm down, across my belly, tucking my fingers in the bottom of my suit to keep it still. I did vertical kicking plus kicking on my back and then one arm swimming. It felt so good to move in the water. When I was released to move my arm I added gentle vertical sculling, like treading water but keeping my elbow at my side. I did a lot of "second quadrant" sculling of all types next and then "first quadrant" movement. I think all of that early movement in addition to the prescribed PT really helped my recovery and it certainly helped my mood!
  • I am thinking of going to free swim for 30 minutes during my daughter's synchro practice and leisurely kicking on my back and maybe doing some gentle egg beatering and/or sculling. For rotator cuff folks, what did you do during your first "swims"? Danielle I went in the pool at 3 weeks as soon as my incisions were healed. For the first few weeks I kept my surgical arm down, across my belly, tucking my fingers in the bottom of my suit to keep it still. I did vertical kicking plus kicking on my back and then one arm swimming. It felt so good to move in the water. When I was released to move my arm I added gentle vertical sculling, like treading water but keeping my elbow at my side. I did a lot of "second quadrant" sculling of all types next and then "first quadrant" movement. I think all of that early movement in addition to the prescribed PT really helped my recovery and it certainly helped my mood!
Children
No Data