Shoulder surgery scheduled...looking for advice

I have a 75% tear of my rotator cuff that I am having repaired arthroscopically next month. I am looking for any suggestions from folks who have survived shoulder injuries on pain management, sleep techniques, icing options, etc. Dos and Don'ts of recovery would be great, too. Thanks! Danielle
Parents
  • I am now 5 weeks post-op (still not sleeping well--it's 1:55 am here), and my doctor gave me clearance to get back in the water, which I am excited about. Not to swim as I know it-- my hand has to stay below my shoulder, but right now I couldn't raise it above if I tried anyway. I am thinking of going to free swim for 30 minutes during my daughter's synchro practice and leisurely kicking on my back and maybe doing some gentle egg beatering and/or sculling. For rotator cuff folks, what did you do during your first "swims"? I am still struggling with very tight and tired traps, especially on the surgery side. That is why I am having trouble sleeping. It's hard to get in a position where my neck isn't uncomfortable. My PT has provided some relief with McConnell tape, and we'll start with kinesio tape this week. I am hoping some gentle time in the pool will help, too. again, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share advice with me here. Danielle
  • I am now 5 weeks post-op (still not sleeping well--it's 1:55 am here), and my doctor gave me clearance to get back in the water, which I am excited about. Not to swim as I know it-- my hand has to stay below my shoulder, but right now I couldn't raise it above if I tried anyway. I am thinking of going to free swim for 30 minutes during my daughter's synchro practice and leisurely kicking on my back and maybe doing some gentle egg beatering and/or sculling. For rotator cuff folks, what did you do during your first "swims"? I am still struggling with very tight and tired traps, especially on the surgery side. That is why I am having trouble sleeping. It's hard to get in a position where my neck isn't uncomfortable. My PT has provided some relief with McConnell tape, and we'll start with kinesio tape this week. I am hoping some gentle time in the pool will help, too. again, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share advice with me here. Danielle
Children
No Data