Shoulder surgery scheduled...looking for advice

I have a 75% tear of my rotator cuff that I am having repaired arthroscopically next month. I am looking for any suggestions from folks who have survived shoulder injuries on pain management, sleep techniques, icing options, etc. Dos and Don'ts of recovery would be great, too. Thanks! Danielle
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Have plenty of pillows on your bed for propping your affected arm (even though it is in a sling). Some people sleep in a recliner for a few weeks. If you don't have an electric toothbrush--get one!!! Especially if your affected shoulder is on your dominant side. Extra large t-shirts work well for covering the sling (without having to put your arm thru) and the rest of you. Front closing bras -- a must as you won't have the movement in your arms to do it in back Pull up pants--hard to zip or button otherwise Slip on shoes -- you won't be able to tie shoes Get a back scratcher--you won't be able to scratch your back otherwise I found the sling material to be very scratchy on my back---I placed a pillowcase (literally!) between my back and the sling--made it much easier. Lay in a stock of frozen meals--practice BEFORE surgery on opening them. I was able to open bottles (not 2 liter ones) by grasping between my knees and using the non-affected hand to open. If you're planning on soup--get cans and an electric can opener not pull tabs If the doctor prescribes a cryo-cuff (or other icing device)--use it!!!! The ice helps the swelling. Don't wait too long between pain medications--once the pain gets a good grip--you'll have trouble getting it under control if you try to tough it out. On a female side--do any personal grooming you can before the surgery. If you shave underarms--look into getting them waxed. You won't be able to raise your arm for a few weeks. Spray deodorant works well. Practice using sanitary products using your non-dominant (or non-surgery side) hand--not as easy as you think. The first couple of weeks after surgery you won't be able to concentrate on much. I also planned to catch up on my reading but found that People magazine was about my concentration level. Load up the DVR if you can or get a short-term subscription to something like HBO or Showtime. Have had shoulder surgery 6 times--2 on dominant side and 4 on non-dominant side Add in a couple of hand surgeries and I've learned most of the tricks!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 11 years ago
    Have plenty of pillows on your bed for propping your affected arm (even though it is in a sling). Some people sleep in a recliner for a few weeks. If you don't have an electric toothbrush--get one!!! Especially if your affected shoulder is on your dominant side. Extra large t-shirts work well for covering the sling (without having to put your arm thru) and the rest of you. Front closing bras -- a must as you won't have the movement in your arms to do it in back Pull up pants--hard to zip or button otherwise Slip on shoes -- you won't be able to tie shoes Get a back scratcher--you won't be able to scratch your back otherwise I found the sling material to be very scratchy on my back---I placed a pillowcase (literally!) between my back and the sling--made it much easier. Lay in a stock of frozen meals--practice BEFORE surgery on opening them. I was able to open bottles (not 2 liter ones) by grasping between my knees and using the non-affected hand to open. If you're planning on soup--get cans and an electric can opener not pull tabs If the doctor prescribes a cryo-cuff (or other icing device)--use it!!!! The ice helps the swelling. Don't wait too long between pain medications--once the pain gets a good grip--you'll have trouble getting it under control if you try to tough it out. On a female side--do any personal grooming you can before the surgery. If you shave underarms--look into getting them waxed. You won't be able to raise your arm for a few weeks. Spray deodorant works well. Practice using sanitary products using your non-dominant (or non-surgery side) hand--not as easy as you think. The first couple of weeks after surgery you won't be able to concentrate on much. I also planned to catch up on my reading but found that People magazine was about my concentration level. Load up the DVR if you can or get a short-term subscription to something like HBO or Showtime. Have had shoulder surgery 6 times--2 on dominant side and 4 on non-dominant side Add in a couple of hand surgeries and I've learned most of the tricks!
Children
No Data