Swimmer excluded from Paralympics

Former Member
Former Member
Shaheen, Ayotte Cry Foul Over Exclusion of N.H. Swimmer From Paralympics boston.cbslocal.com/.../ CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — U.S. Sens. Jeanne Shaheen, D-N.H., and Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H., are objecting to a decision not to allow a New Hampshire record-setting swimmer to participate in the International Paralympic World Swimming Championships next week in Montreal. Paralympic officials say Victoria Arlen is ineligible because they don’t believe her disability is permanent... This article explains a little more: www.seacoastonline.com/.../20130811-SPORTS-308110341 The dispute stems from a recent medical report that stated if Arlen got years of physical therapy, she might be able to walk again. Dr. Michael Levy, of Johns Hopkins University, responded to the committee. "It will take many months to years to get Ms. Arlen back on her feet. I did not mean to imply that Ms. Arlen would be able to walk quickly," Levy wrote. "Please do not misconstrue my plan as a statement of permanence of her disability."
Parents
  • Reclassifications are not uncommon amongst young or new swimmers with some types of impairment. At least 5 of the swimmers on Australia's 2012 Paralympic team have been reclassified at least once in their career. For example, Matthew Haanapell was originally classified S6, reclassified S7, then re-reclassified S6. 8x S7 gold medalist Jacqui Freney raced at S8 for years, including at the Beijing Paralympics; she was reclassified in 2011. I've been reclassified (and will be reviewed again next year, if I'm not called in earlier). Closest parallel to the Mallory Weggemann situation - Ukrainian swimmer Bohodayko, IPC Euros multiple gold medalist, was reclassified from S6 to S7 on the eve of the 2012 Paralympics. In his case, tho, think it was probably the right decision. He went on to break Rudi Garcia-Tolson's SM7 200IM world record, and win gold in SB6 breaststroke (people are classified seperately for ***). Other than Victoria Arlen, don't know of any established para-athletes who have lost eligibility because the IPC questioned the permanency of their impairment. People found ineligible at an international competition - I can think of a number. Jessica Gallagher, Beijing Paralympics, deemed .01 too sighted in one eye. Or the GB thrower Rebecca Chin, entered in F44 (leg impairment), reclassified into F38 (mild cerebral palsy), then found ineligible: news.bbc.co.uk/.../7615106.stm
  • Reclassifications are not uncommon amongst young or new swimmers with some types of impairment. At least 5 of the swimmers on Australia's 2012 Paralympic team have been reclassified at least once in their career. For example, Matthew Haanapell was originally classified S6, reclassified S7, then re-reclassified S6. 8x S7 gold medalist Jacqui Freney raced at S8 for years, including at the Beijing Paralympics; she was reclassified in 2011. I've been reclassified (and will be reviewed again next year, if I'm not called in earlier). Closest parallel to the Mallory Weggemann situation - Ukrainian swimmer Bohodayko, IPC Euros multiple gold medalist, was reclassified from S6 to S7 on the eve of the 2012 Paralympics. In his case, tho, think it was probably the right decision. He went on to break Rudi Garcia-Tolson's SM7 200IM world record, and win gold in SB6 breaststroke (people are classified seperately for ***). Other than Victoria Arlen, don't know of any established para-athletes who have lost eligibility because the IPC questioned the permanency of their impairment. People found ineligible at an international competition - I can think of a number. Jessica Gallagher, Beijing Paralympics, deemed .01 too sighted in one eye. Or the GB thrower Rebecca Chin, entered in F44 (leg impairment), reclassified into F38 (mild cerebral palsy), then found ineligible: news.bbc.co.uk/.../7615106.stm
Children
No Data