Lap Lanes Etiquette

Former Member
Former Member
Just wondering from you more experienced public pool swimmers what the general social rules are for swimming in the roped off lap lanes? I've tried doing so once with kickboard, but found myself going quite slow (and also needing to rest more) and decided to not use them until I felt I had the speed and stamina to not slow the lane down. Our pool uses circular lane swimming, where a person can swim up the sides (either left or right) of a lane and then swim down the middle of it when going back. Depending on the day, the lanes can either be completely open or have as many as 4 people in them. Should a person requiring significant rest between lap cycles get out of the pool during that time? Should a slower person use the open pool area instead of lanes? What type of lap lane etiquette have you guys found most common in public pools?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I swear I must have written on my cap "swim here". If I'm in a lane with another person and there are other lanes with 2 people in them--I seem to always have the 3rd person want to join us (and I'm swimming in the middle of an 8 lane pool). And that 3rd person turns out to be someone wanting to breaststroke (and none too well). Why can't people look at the speed people are swimming and THEN make a decision about joining them? I've been splitting a lane with someone who is much faster than I am (and that's why we split). We'll get a 3rd person who wants to use a kickboard!!! Given that we have an adult only swim --and people are swimming laps--please pay attention to what others are doing.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I swear I must have written on my cap "swim here". If I'm in a lane with another person and there are other lanes with 2 people in them--I seem to always have the 3rd person want to join us (and I'm swimming in the middle of an 8 lane pool). And that 3rd person turns out to be someone wanting to breaststroke (and none too well). Why can't people look at the speed people are swimming and THEN make a decision about joining them? I've been splitting a lane with someone who is much faster than I am (and that's why we split). We'll get a 3rd person who wants to use a kickboard!!! Given that we have an adult only swim --and people are swimming laps--please pay attention to what others are doing.
Children
No Data