Lap Lanes Etiquette

Former Member
Former Member
Just wondering from you more experienced public pool swimmers what the general social rules are for swimming in the roped off lap lanes? I've tried doing so once with kickboard, but found myself going quite slow (and also needing to rest more) and decided to not use them until I felt I had the speed and stamina to not slow the lane down. Our pool uses circular lane swimming, where a person can swim up the sides (either left or right) of a lane and then swim down the middle of it when going back. Depending on the day, the lanes can either be completely open or have as many as 4 people in them. Should a person requiring significant rest between lap cycles get out of the pool during that time? Should a slower person use the open pool area instead of lanes? What type of lap lane etiquette have you guys found most common in public pools?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I will never in my lifetime understand this. Some people have a specific lane they want to swim in. They want to swim there no matter what and might even ask you to move. I have a friend who shortly after he joining a masters club had someone tell him he should quit. This guy had been swimming in the fast lane for ten years and wasn't able to any more as he was always getting lapped by my friend. Three weeks ago I was at the gym and someone came in who seemed surprised and then said I was using their usual locker. He kept talking about how he always got that locker and this was the first time anyone else had been using it. I think he wanted to ask me to take my stuff out but was sane enough to know that would be a crazy request.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I will never in my lifetime understand this. Some people have a specific lane they want to swim in. They want to swim there no matter what and might even ask you to move. I have a friend who shortly after he joining a masters club had someone tell him he should quit. This guy had been swimming in the fast lane for ten years and wasn't able to any more as he was always getting lapped by my friend. Three weeks ago I was at the gym and someone came in who seemed surprised and then said I was using their usual locker. He kept talking about how he always got that locker and this was the first time anyone else had been using it. I think he wanted to ask me to take my stuff out but was sane enough to know that would be a crazy request.
Children
No Data